| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Requesting $ Saving Travel Tips to Transplant Ctr  (Read 5908 times)

Mmeaimee

Requesting $ Saving Travel Tips to Transplant Ctr
« on: July 08, 2011, 12:08:22 PM »
Hello,

I wanted to know if anybody had any tips on how to make traveling to & from an out of state transplant ctr more affordable?  My mom is currently undergoing the initial evaluation at a transplant ctr.  She has several more visits that are required at the transplant ctr prior to being listed/testing a living donor.  Post-transplant she will need to return to the tranplant ctr 2x/wk for bld wk...so we will need to stay for an extended period out of state to be close to the transplant ctr.

For those of you that have gone through this process or are going through this process...any tips on cheap airfare? how are you handling lodging for the extended stay post-transplant? 

Thanks for your help!

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Requesting $ Saving Travel Tips to Transplant Ctr
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 02:17:58 PM »

Your best place to start is with the social workers at the hospital. They should be able to give you names of organizations. For some you need to meet financial criteria. Is there an organization like the National Kidney Foundation for liver disease? I remember speaking with liver recipients about the disparity between the two but you can ask about that as well. Many families have fundraisers at their church, synagogue or other house of worship and community centers. I saw this one online don't know much about it though. Some families have had the airlines be a little more accommodating when traveling and waiving the cancellation fee or change fee due to the surgery. I think Southwest was one that come to mind.

http://www.bbb.org/charity-reviews/national/health/american-kidney-fund-in-rockville-md-2265

Good luck.

Sherri

Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline jstx

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 04:05:44 PM »
Southwest Airlines was the most accomodating for me in case I needed to change my flights.  Can your mother do her follow up blood work at a transplant center/doctor's office close to home?  I had my transplant surgeon (I donated a kidney out of state) refer me to a transplant surgeon that is local to me in case I needed anything after I flew home.  Just something to think about asking....you never know until you try.
Donated left kidney on 6/6/11 to a recipient I found on LDO
Johns Hopkins Hospital
Baltimore, MD

reecelj

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 05:30:28 PM »
Another resource for you is the National Living Donor Assistance Center - your transplant coordinator (or social worker) will initiate the application for funding assistance. www.livingdonorassistance.org

As far as housing post-surgery, almost every hospital has an arrangement with a local hotel or two for discounted housing for their patients.

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 11:06:22 PM »
     The "Transplant Recipients International Organization" (T.R.I.O.) collects "frequent flyer miles" from those willing to donate them, and with those miles is sometimes able to help provide free transplant-realted plane tickets for a few people. Check www.trioweb.org
                 Fr. Pat

Offline lawphi

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 04:31:32 PM »
Pat:  Thank you for posting that link.  I racked up several thousand miles for my husband's surgeries and would prefer to see them go to good use rather than get a few magazines in several years.

You can also fund raise for costs associated with an organ transplant or a living donor. 
Bridge Paired Exchange donor on behalf of my husband (re-transplant) at Johns Hopkins.

Mmeaimee

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 08:32:29 AM »
Thanks so much everyone for your great ideas!  I will check out those websites too!

Mmeaimee

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 02:38:48 PM »
Thanks so much for the website referrals!  They are really a great resource.  We are preparing to go back to the transplant ctr. in a few wks to complete the final evaluation to see if my mom is cleared as a candidate for a liver transplant. 

Keeping our fingers crossed,
Mmeaimee

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved