| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Rising Number Of People Asking About Liver Donations  (Read 2613 times)

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
Rising Number Of People Asking About Liver Donations
« on: April 18, 2015, 08:12:19 AM »
http://www.cjob.com/2015/04/08/68779/

Rising Number Of People Asking About Liver Donations
Christian Aumell

11-year-old Allexis Siebrecht is a local girl who desperately needs a liver transplant. 24-year-old Samantha Lussier is being tested to try and become the girl’s living donor. In light of this story, the number of people wanting to become living donors has spiked significantly.

“Since this media coverage with Allexis, I’ve had close to 50 people that have come forward and asked, ‘How do I start this process? How do I go forward?’” says Bianca Pengelly, regional coordinator of the Canadian Liver Foundation.

Pengelly wants to remind Winnipeggers that there are many more people in need of a transplant.

“Just because you’ve read Allexis’ story doesn’t mean that she’s the only one in the community. If you could consider someone else that would be great. So there are a few people that have come forward and say, ‘I just want to be a living donor. How do I start that?’”

Pengelly also clears up some of the questions people have about being a living donor.

“You might think, ‘Oh, they’re taking away my organ.’ They’re not. They’re taking away the piece that this young lady would need, or whoever it would be going to. Your liver will heal itself. You’ll be able to live a lifestyle and never know that you had this problem other than somebody noticing a scar on you.”

She adds that Allexis and Samantha’s story should remind everyone to get their liver checked. For more information on how to become an organ donor, you can learn more here. http://www.transplantmanitoba.ca/decide/how-do-i-become-an-organ-donor-in-manitoba
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional