| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: best diet practices  (Read 6244 times)

Offline stevewin@windstream.net

• Top 50 poster!
best diet practices
« on: July 19, 2011, 10:25:18 PM »
I AM NEW AS A MEMBER TO THIS GROUP.I DONATED MY LEFT KIDNEY TO MY BROTHER[TOM] ON MARCH 15,2011.I STARTED USING THE INTERNET ON MY TIME OFF FROM WORK.THE OPERATION WAS AT EMORY TRANSPLANT CENTER IN ATLANTA,GA.. I AM LOOKING FOR BEST DIET PRACTICES OR GUIDE FROM LKD,S.   THANKS STEVE

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: best diet practices
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 11:39:55 PM »
Dear Steve,
     Welcome, and congratulations!
     One good source for "healthy kidney" diet practices and recipies is the National Kidney Foundation site www.kidney.org
                 best wishes,
                      Fr. Pat

Offline dodger

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 05:50:03 PM »
If you are looking for reading material, books, I would recommend the Flat Belly Diet for Diabetics, even if you have no issues with diabetes, as they are even more aware of the nutritional needs of a compromised system.  There are several others I found very helpful but I'm not home right now, on vacation, yeah, but will list them later.

The DASH diet is geared to hypertension, but, it too has very healthy eating as well. Lots of information on the internet about that.

The big thing is to become aware of cutting back on meat, but also to include protein with most meals, just watch the portion size, a deck of card size, or the size of your palm.  It is just easier on the remaining kidney if it isn't overloaded with too much protein, creatinine, to filter out of the blood at anyone time.

I donated on March 10 of this year, at 59 1/2 and had a little HBP afterwards. I was overweight, little excercise, and not eating properly before the surgery.  Since then I have dropped 18 lbs, walk and jog, eat great food, and feel better than  have for several years.  Hubby has followed the program as well and is also seeing the benefits.  The HBP is very low normal now.

My hubby is type 2 diabetes hence following those diets but they are very healthy diets.

Congratulations on your donation and you have found the best place and folks to get the answers to any and all questions you may have.  Janice aka dodger
Donated 3/10/11 to my niece at UW Madison, Wi

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 06:38:02 PM »
thank you for your suggestions! i have a lot to learn.i am eating a lot less red meat and more fruitand lowfat cottage cheese.everyday i get close or pass the amount of water i am to drink.my bp was 114/72 with a hr of 69.

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
  • You may never know the burdens others carry
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 07:04:46 PM »
Steve,

From a general nutrition perspective but works well after my KD, is to cut your portions and eat more often (but less).  Hydration is important but so is following a balanced diet - dark colored fruits and vegetables will give you more necessary vitamins/minerals and nutrients than light colored ones.  You should eat some bread each day, just make certain they are as near whole-grain as possible and remember - stay away from processed foods of all types.  Organic foods will keep you away from chemicals, steroids and other unwanted substances.    Have dairy in low-fat form such as cottage cheese and low-fat milk.  Eat little red meats and get your protein through chicken and fish (fish will may help with issues like cholesterol). 

Importantly HYDRATE, Reduce sodium intake, HYDRATE, limit sugar intake and HYDRATE.  Regular exercise will help keep unwanted weight off and to reduce stress and strengthen your heart and may help control risks for such things as diabetes and high blood pressure.   

I hope you continue to heal quickly and fully and GOOD HEALTH fiend!

Scott
Scott

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 11:08:03 PM »
scott,thanks for the info,i have started doing a lot of what you have mentioned.the hardest part is drinking the recommmended amount of water each day.

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
  • You may never know the burdens others carry
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 01:49:22 AM »
I'm like you, I have to really make a conscious effort to keep sufficiently hydrated.  I started running about 10 weeks ago and worry sometimes that I may be under hydrating but I'm still working on it.  My last physical, about a month or so ago, my physician said kidney function test was high and wanted me retested.  I contacted my kidney surgeon who was more concerned about it than my family physician and he believed the high test results were as a result of under-hydration.  He told me to drink plenty of fluids and retest several weeks later.  Only dropped again slightly.  Good news was, when they compared my creatine levels both now and pre-donation, they were far less than 60% difference so still within normal.  DO force yourself to hydrate.  Good luck buddy!

Scott   8)
Scott

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 07:53:27 AM »
 :)thanks scott,i am drinking a lot of water most days.it is hard to do when you  are in meetings all day. steve

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional