| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Seeking to be LKD - have questions  (Read 4397 times)

Offline lauraluvsbob

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
Seeking to be LKD - have questions
« on: June 26, 2015, 01:36:24 PM »
Hi I am new to LDO and seeking some information. I am pursuing a altruistic donation.
Q 1 - Is it better to stay in my home area or travel to another city for donation? Which is easier on the recipient?

Q 2- Should I go to a Dr to be tested or contact a transplant center?

Thanks much!
 :)

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Seeking to be LKD - have questions
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 07:29:47 PM »
     Congratulations on your interest in possibly becoming a non-directed kidney donor. Keep getting yourself well informed, including about the short-term and long-term risks involved. I donated non-directed 13 years ago and do not regret it. Here's some info:
--- The methods of preserving a donated kidney have been greatly improved, so it can be possible to donate at a hospital near you and for the kidney to be safely flown anyplace for implantation, if you wish.
--- It might be wise to first get a check-up from your regular doctor and ask his/her opinion regarding kidney donation. That way you start off with completely unbiased advice. Keep copies of all medical records and tests.
--- www.kidneyregistry.org would try to match you with a recipient who has a willing but incompatible donor. You donate to that person, and then that person's incompatible donor gives to someone else. Again the "someone else" chosen is another patient with a wiling but incompatible donor who then passes a kidney along. The original non-directed donor thus starts a chain of many otherwise impossible transplants.
--- If you would prerfer to donate to a stranger but at the same time have a choice in who the recipient would be you might want to look at www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor which is one example of the patients who are personally seeking a donor.
           best wishes,
                   Fr. Pat

Offline lauraluvsbob

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 08:32:15 AM »
Thanks Fr. Pat. I appreciate the info and will continue to pray and seek.  I am now in contact with a person who will be organizing it, and she is very helpful in experience and guidance.
:) 

Offline Mizchelle

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 09:01:34 AM »
No harm meant in this statement, but Doctors thrive more on those who are on Dialysis for years.  I would advise contacting  a Transplant Center and they will be able provide options that best fit your needs.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved