| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: GFR is borderline....  (Read 6221 times)

Offline robols14

• My first post!
  • I'm new!
GFR is borderline....
« on: August 18, 2015, 04:51:48 AM »
Hello all,

I wonder if you could help me? I have been having tests to donate to my sister.
My GFR results are borderline for someone my age, I had a re test yesterday.
Has anyone else had this and their results change significantly?
Any comments would really be appreciated!

Thanks 

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: GFR is borderline....
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 07:24:48 AM »
     You might want to post your question at the FACEBOOK page of Living Donors On Line, because many more donors check the messages there who do not check here.
       Fr. Pat

Offline brenda

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 11:14:57 PM »
Unbeknownst to me, my GFR was also borderline prior to donation. My post-donation GFR has been low and continues to fall. I realize that everyone is different, and your motivation for donation is a factor, but I think you are lucky to find out before donating. You must seriously consider whether or not you should donate. The standards for donation have been greatly expanded in the last decade, so the research showing that donors do well post-donation does not really tell donors like myself (and you if you go through with this) anything about our futures. Frankly, had I known prior to donation what I am facing now - and I believe it was predictable - I would not have donated.  I apologize for posting so much later than your original question; I rarely log in now.

Offline RKEM

• Top 50 poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 11:03:12 AM »
This is an interesting question. Are there reference values somewhere as to what one's GFR should be at various ages? When I had my test (I'm female and 37) I was told it was 119 and that this was good but it now occurs to me that I didn't ask what the normal range is.

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 11:29:00 AM »
Dear robols,

How was your GFR measured? Is it eGFR based on a blood test?  If so, there are other more accurate measurements.  Some people do a 24 hour urine collection.  I had a nuclear clearance test. 

My eGFR looked high then, and does now.  But my actual kidney function is very good. I am muscular, so that may be the reason the serum creatinine is higher than average. 

Make sure you get a full explanation from the nephrologist before you donate.

Love, elephant

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 08:18:29 PM »
you may also want to seek a second opinion from a nephrologist outside the transplant center who is experienced with kidney donation. He/she can review all your testing,lab values, family history etc and make a recommendation if donation would be appropriate for you and what the risks involved may be for your future health.

good luck,

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline Michael

• Founder of LDO
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 07:40:15 AM »
RKEM,

Here's a web site with a GFR calculator that includes reference points for kidney disease by GFR level: http://www.davita.com/gfr-calculator/
Michael
Living Donors Online
Our mission: to improve the living donation experience

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional