| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: My Experience  (Read 4606 times)

Offline Anjana

• My first post!
  • I'm new!
My Experience
« on: October 21, 2015, 05:58:34 AM »
Hi everybody,
I have donated my left kidney to my brother 2 years ago, Both of us are doing well apart from the fact that I am always having acid reflux or very gassy and secondly my energy levels have dropped to zilch. Now what I want to know is that normal for everyone, or am I facing it only?
if someone on his forum can answer my query I will be thankful.

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: My Experience
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 07:43:44 AM »
Dear Anjana,

I am happy to hear that you and your dear brother are doing well!  No, I do not think that gastrointestinal issues are a normal result of kidney donation. 

Why don't you make an appointment with a gastroenterologist? GERD or another gastroenterological problem can cause fatigue.

Donating a kidney does not proof us against future health issues, nor can we assume that all future health issues are a result of the donation. 

In any event, seeking professional medical care would be a good idea.

Love, elephant

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 07:48:14 AM »
     I donated a kidney 13 years ago, and did not note a lack of energy afterwards. However, I have read reports of a number of kidney donors who say they have suffered long-term energy problems. You might want to post also at the www.FaceBook.com page of Living Donors on Line, as more donors post read there rather than here. I'll be 70 soon, and still run half-marathons, but when I feel tired I don't know if it has to do with the kidney donation or just my age.
   Fr. Pat

Offline RKEM

• Top 50 poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 11:45:57 AM »
Hi, I donated five weeks ago and I haven't experienced any of that. Sure,early on, eating was hard so I had less energy but I'd say that at the three weeks mark, energy and appetite started to come back. I don't have the endurance I had before but I suspect it will eventually come back.

If I were you I would make an appointment with a doctor. They can probably find out what is going on and whether it is or not related to your donation. And in either case, hopefully provide you with the appropriate treatment.

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 07:51:05 PM »
Dear "Anjana",
     Another thing you might keep in mind if fatigue is serious and long-term: in kidney donation even though the adrenal gland above the donated kidney is usually not removed, it can be damaged during the surgery. And changes to the blood vessels because of the donation surgery can reduce the blood flow to and from that adrenal gland, reducing its ability to deliver adrenalin, etc. to the blood stream. Some donors have later consulted an endocrinologist to see if their symptoms are the result of hormone imbalance due to the damage to the adrenal gland on that side. I'm not a medical professional, but am just passing along what I have learned from other donors over the years.
   Fr. Pat

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 08:08:07 PM »
I would agree with the others, it's best to have a doctor check you out.  I hear the "fatigue" statement a lot but I don't know that it's been necessarily linked with donation.   I don't think I feel any more fatigued than I would if I had two kidneys, and I don't believe GI issues are a typical complication either.

For whatever reason, some seem to link all health issues with donation, when it's likely they are not related. Please see a doctor to confirm.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved