| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Antidepressants  (Read 4878 times)

Offline andy

• Top 200 Poster!
Antidepressants
« on: December 21, 2015, 05:40:14 PM »
I was a living kidney donor 11 years ago. I have recently been diagnosed with anxiety and depression and been prescribed celexa (citalopram), as SSRI antidepressant. I am concerned that the use of this drug long term may affect my kidney function.  Any other former donors out there have any experience with this or a similar drug. Thanks. Andy

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Antidepressants
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 05:54:00 AM »
About a week ago there was a discussion about anti-depressants and living donors at the FaceBook page of Living Donors on Line, and several donors who are taking anti-depressants shared their experience. You might scroll down there to find that discussion, or post your question there as there might be donors there with experience with that medication.
     best wishes,
        fr. Pat

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 02:13:02 PM »
Dear Andy,

I do not think this class of drugs is typically nephrotoxic.  Do you think this for a specific reason?  Have you discussed with your physician or your pharmacist?  I would ask them both.

Love, elephant

Offline andy

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 03:36:03 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. My psychiatrist did not ask about my specific medical history and does not know about the nephrectomy procedure. I will raise it with him at my next appointment. I have no great concern about any damage to my kidney, but have heard very mixed things about being on antidepressants, side effects, withdrawl symptoms, etc. The celexa is working for me so far, but I intend to closely monitor all aspects of my health (including my kidney). Andy

Offline RKEM

• Top 50 poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 08:05:24 AM »
It is probably a good idea to mention your nephrectomy to every medical professional you deal with, even the dentist, just to be on the safe side. I know it's annoying because then that leads to other questions and the whole "omg your gesture was so altruistic and yaddy ya" and then at least for me I feel bad because it feel as though I'm bragging. But your health and ensuring that everybody on the same page is very important.

As an aside, I took Celexa for a few years (well before donating) and it was very mild in terms of side effects and little to no withdrawal. in fact, taking Celexa is what allowed me to get off Effexor (quitting that, is basically like quitting heroin in terms of violence of the symptoms), but quitting Celexa was just a matter of lowering the dose over a couple of months. The one thing I would see as potentially problematic is the side effect of weight gain. Some people put on quite a few pounds whilst on antidepressants and that could have effects on blood pressure, eventually.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional