| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Donating in 2 days  (Read 6137 times)

Offline ASnider

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
Donating in 2 days
« on: March 16, 2016, 06:51:22 PM »
Hi, everyone!  I've been reading the messages on here for quite sometime and have found a lot of useful information. In two days, I'm donating a kidney to a coworker. I'd just like to know if any donors on here have any advice that maybe no one told them before their surgery. My transplant team has been fantastic and answered every question I've had, but I imagine there are little things that no one really thinks about until they're actually recovering from surgery.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Donating in 2 days
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 08:08:42 PM »
Congratulations on your upcoming donation. quick tips, adjust expectations. You may feel pain after surgery, don't be afraid to assess your pain accurately. Most likely the nurse will ask you "on a scale of 0-10 how is your pain". Be honest, use the least amount of pain meds to make you comfortable. You may feel upper body or chest discomfort from the gas that is used during laparoscopic surgery. the incision area may be uncomfortable as well. i found wearing a tight undershirt over the incision bandage felt like it would hold me in, if that makes sense.

Stay well hydrated, walk around when you can. Bring comfortable clothes that are loose fitting. You will probably not have a great appetite, eat small light meals. Have someone who will be with you to advocate just for you. Allow yourself to recuperate even though you may be worried about your recipient. They are in good hands!

take enough time off to heal. Do not do too much too soon, no heavy lifting. This is real surgery, with real instruments so be kind to yourself.

Keep us posted.

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 06:58:06 AM »
     One little tip that nobody told me about: there may be some general bloating after the surgery. When I was to be discharged I found that my going-home clothes were too tight, and I almost had to leave bare-foot in winter because it was so hard to get intro my shoes. So, bring extra-large stuff to go home in, just in case you also have bloating. I hope you have a great experience. I would do it again in a heartbeat.
     Fr. Pat

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 07:50:55 AM »
Dear ASnider,

Hoorah for you!  I hope all goes well for you and your recipient. 

I found that a smallish firm pillow held over the incision was a comfort, and a big help in the event of coughing or sneezing.  Hospitals are super-noisy, earplugs help.  Roll over and use your arms when you get out of bed.  And a final word: Prunes!  To help counteract the anesthesia and painkillers. 

Let us know when you are recovering.

Love, elephant

Offline ASnider

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 05:26:52 AM »
Thank you for the replies!  I had my surgery at 8 am yesterday and am doing well. They say my recipient is, too.

I haven't been out of bed yet. What seems to be causing me the most pain is just breathing more than shallow breaths. I'm hoping that will subside once I'm allowed to get up and move because the pain meds don't seem to help that at all.

Alana

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 07:15:07 AM »
     Congratulations. Do please keep trying to take deeper breaths. There are a lot of germs floating around hospitals and you want to keep cleaning your lungs out. Getting out of bed as soon as possible, even for short periods, will probably help with the breathing as well. Please keep us posted.
      Fr. Pat

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2016, 11:48:17 PM »
Congratulations and welcome to the donors' club.

Glad to hear things went well. The deep breathing may be difficult after any surgery. You should have a spirometer to use which looks like a plastic device with a tube to blow air in and out. this will help prevent lung issues post surgery. You should be able to get out of bed unless something else is going on that they want you in bed. Even moving from the bed to the chair is good and sitting upright will help breathing. Even if you still have a foley catheter in you should be able to move. Talk to your nurse and ask if they can help you walk around a bit. Stay well and take care of yourself. Keep us posted.

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 07:39:28 AM »
Dear ASnider,

Terrific! Let us know how your recovery progresses.

elephant

Offline ASnider

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2016, 08:43:51 PM »
I finally got to come home yesterday. Unfortunately, there were some errors in my hospital care made by the nurses and surgery resident which caused me to have to stay an extra 2 days. I'm just glad to be home and healing now.

I definitely am way more swollen than I expected. Luckily, I bought a few pairs of oversized pajamas before the surgery. My biggest problem at home has just been standing up!  I made the mistake of getting into my bed when I got home and then couldn't get up. Good thing my kids were here and helped me. So I'm sleeping in a recliner for now. The weather is so nice that I did get to go for a short walk outside. That was a struggle, but I know I have to keep doing it. I just keep telling myself that each day will be a little better.

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2016, 07:19:00 AM »
Best wishes! So sorry you had two extra days to deal with in a hospital. Yuck! Hope you slept well once you got home! Recliner and walking, sounds like you're making good progress now. Hurrah!

Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved