| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Baby Aspirin (80mg) Daily & Kidney Donation  (Read 7847 times)

Offline 777Captain

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
Baby Aspirin (80mg) Daily & Kidney Donation
« on: September 13, 2016, 06:41:44 PM »
Another question if ya'll don't mind.

Like I mentioned in another thread, I'm being evaluated for kidney donation which may occur later this month.

I currently take an 80mg/day baby aspirin to guard against the potential for stroke/heart issues.  I'm a mid-fifties male.

I've been reading that some people suggest that you do not take any aspirin with only one kidney.  This is a concern for me as I once had an A-fib and the aspirin was recommended after that, about ten years ago. The a-fib was not/is not a chronic condition, it was related to stress from a viral infection.

Anyone have any experience with the baby aspirin thing?

Thanks
777C

Offline RKEM

• Top 50 poster!
  • I'm new!
Re: Baby Aspirin (80mg) Daily & Kidney Donation
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 05:45:53 PM »
Not specifically but it is probably worth mentioning it to the nephrologist prior, to see if after donation you can continue taking it or should switch to something else. I had the same sort of concern over a medication I take for migraines and it was just a question of confirming that it was safe and if not (as was the case of taking advil for the milder migraines), to have some other options available.

It might also be worth discussing with your physician whether you even need to keep taking it forever ... esp. if it was related to something that isn't chronic.

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional