| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: GFR Help !!!!  (Read 5968 times)

Terryw

GFR Help !!!!
« on: August 04, 2011, 10:44:38 AM »
Hi all,

Has anyone else had a any problems pre-donation with a "Borderline" GFR???? I know they have to take into account what it will be after donation but what is the minimum GFR in the UK???

Thanks guys Ive got to wait untill poss tuesday next week for the call to say if the scan results are ok and thay the borderline GFR result wont stop me giving my brother a kidney. :-[

A little worried about it  :-[

Thanks Terry :)

Terryw

Re: GFR Help !!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 12:43:30 PM »
Did find this, It's a us site but must be same as uk.

MEDICAL SUITABILITY
The Amsterdam Forum has established medical criteria to evaluate potential living kidney donors. In order to qualify as a living kidney donor, the following medical criteria are evaluated:

Kidney function (glomerular filtration rate [GFR] less than 80 ml/min is generally not acceptable)
    Hypertension (the need for blood pressure lowering medications or blood pressure readings above 140/90 mm Hg are generally not acceptable)
    Obesity (obese individuals are usually discouraged from donating especially when other conditions are present)
    Cholesterol levels (high cholesterol alone does not rule out kidney donation)
    Urine analysis for protein
    Urine analysis for blood
    Diabetes (individuals with diabetes or high fasting blood glucose level should not donate)
    Kidney stones
    Cancer (a history of some but not all cancers usually excludes live kidney donation)
    Urinary tract infections
    Blood type compatibility and cross-matching
    Genetic match between donor and recipient (sometimes important)
    Cardiovascular risk (presence of major cardiovascular risk factors usually excludes live kidney donation)
    Lung function
    Smoking cessation and alcohol abstinence
    Laboratory blood tests (donor infection with HIV, Hepatitis B Virus [HBV], and Hepatitis C Virus [HCV] preclude living liver donation)

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Non-directed donation, Oct., 2011
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 04:51:26 PM »
Dear Terry,
  I don't know enough to say anything particular about your specific GFR status.  However, I will tell you that, twice in the last few months (once was last week), I got some less-than-perfect lab results and was extremely upset.  Not only have I poured a lot of time and effort into the whole long process of being approved to donate (this has been going on over one year), but I have somebody now depending on me, waiting/hoping for me to help him out by donating.
   In the first instance (blood pressure higher than normal), I was upset enough to schedule an appointment with my regular doc, and he simply pooh-poohed the results as really only trivially elevated, and of no real significance.  Indeed, since then my pressure readings have been normal, thankfully.
   The second instance involved a possible elevation in glucose, and some protein in my urine.  Since then, the "do-over" data have been perfectly normal (though there are still a couple of test results not yet back from the lab).
   I wish you the same luck--sometimes, imperfect results could prove to be a random one-time thing.
  However, having said that, I would venture to say that one really should be pretty darn sure of a nice good GFR status before donating a kidney.  It has been drilled into me that, however many nephrons you have working away now in your two kidneys, you will have only half of them after donation. 
  Yes, the remaining kidney ends up doing more of the work, etc.  Still, make sure that the test is re-done, and interpreted carefully.  You can also ask what the phrase "borderline" really means.  Is it set artificially high or low for some reason?
  Overall, though, based on my own experiences, it's not worth getting overly upset at least until you can sit down with a competent medical professional who has the time to carefully explain what's really going on.
   Good luck, Snoopy

Terryw

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 05:19:26 PM »
Thanks for that snoopy and your right I know its got to be good now or they will just be making another poss patient............... They did say it would be a ride with ups and downs and the waiting is the worse for me lol.

Will see what they say when she rings me next week, She wants all results back and the consultant to review everything as well before we get the go ahead.

Thanks and I wish you luck as well and over a year wow mines only been 5 months.

Terry.

Offline bergstromtori

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 10:51:33 AM »
I also had some poor GFR results.  The docs believe it is due to dehydration and too much exercise.  They suggested that I not run for 48 hours prior to tests.  I was training for a marathon when I received the poor results.
The donation is being made because I wish that someone could have done something like this to save my moms life.  I am not going to let a disease take my friend from his three kids the way my mom was taken from me, my brother and sister.

Offline dodger

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 07:01:44 PM »
I donated with a 90 gfr at almost 60.  Of course it went to 45 and lower for awhile afterwards.  I have just had my new base line done at 5 months and I am up to 50 at this time.  So it is coming up.

My creatinine is now 1.12, it was 1.2 at 8 weeks.  So it is coming down and is in the normal range. Oh get this, my niece/recipient is 1.0!  She got the better kidney, haha.  She asked if I wanted it back, I said,  aahhhh, NO!

I eat very healthy and excercise post surgery. We weren't doing much of either pre-surgery.  The surgery actually came up rather quickly.  I have also lost 21 lbs presently.  I want to make it as easy as possible for my kidney in the future.

The biggest change has been in the cholestorol.  I was 189 pre-donation, which was down from the year previous.  It is now 155, whoohoo!!!.  Bad stuff is way down, good is up a little, so all is in the right direction.  Can't wait for hubby to have his checked in Oct. to find out what his numbers are.   
Donated 3/10/11 to my niece at UW Madison, Wi

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved