| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Elevated creatinine levels  (Read 4702 times)

Offline andy

• Top 200 Poster!
Elevated creatinine levels
« on: January 09, 2017, 03:35:29 PM »
I am thirteen years out from being a living kidney donor (Jan. 2004). Recently my doctor has been worried that my creatinine levels are too high (1.2 and 1.6). The doctor doesn't know whether this suggests a problem with my kidney, or if it is attributable to one kidney doing the work of two. I have never had any problems in the past, and in fact am in better health now than I was at the time of donation. I was told I had no other health problems that could be causing these increased levels. Anybody had an experience like this, and if so, what was recommended to treat it?

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Elevated creatinine levels
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 07:07:50 AM »
Dear Andy,
Two posts in the last two days discuss this topic.
Many kidney donors have a creatinine reading above normal.  If it is stable, this is not a reason for concern. 
We also have an enlarged kidney, which is not 'normal'. 
Why don't you visit with a nephrologist?  Many physicians have no idea what is 'normal' for a person with a single kidney.
Love, elephant 

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 08:10:05 PM »
Those numbers are above normal, but not by much.  For reference, I believe my husband's creatinine level was around 7 pre-transplant and he was not on dialysis yet.  He's at 1.4 post-transplant.  So it's not too bad, where you are. 

It's good to pay attention, but I wouldn't worry too much about it.  Stay well hydrated and keep an eye on the numbers.

Offline donor99

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 08:14:32 PM »
have you gained weight? Do you have hypertension or pre diabetes...what was your GFR pre donation? it all matters

Offline RKEM

• Top 50 poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 09:54:54 AM »
Also were you well hydrated before the test. I had a weird result last summer, 1.2 (whereas it was at 0.87 six months after surgery) but looking back, I had red meat the night before (which I rarely eat) and it was hot and I hadn't drank a whole lot of water. I think those may have played a role in the results. But even at 1.2 the doc wasn't worried.

Offline andy

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 03:22:17 PM »
Thanks to all who replied to my question. I don't remember what my pre-donation creatinine levels were. I have not gained any weight. Perhaps I could have been better hydrated. I have just submitted to another blood test and a urine test. Hopefully, it will provide me some more answers to my questions. Thanks again. Andy

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved