| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Test results: anomalies  (Read 15614 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Non-directed donation, Oct., 2011
Re: Test results: anomalies
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2011, 06:56:03 AM »
Dear Linda,
  Yes, it's definitely worth a "Yippee!"--the doc was all set to disqualify me.  I keep thinking about Terry, who was disqualified based on a borderline GFR.  I suggested he try for a re-test, but I don't think he's been on this board since he posted that message.  In my own case, so many "not good" labs were basically normal on re-test.
  Anyway, on the strength of this good protein value, I'm requesting that, while I do my next two re-tests--for which we won't have all the results in for almost four weeks--my center continues scheduling the last few steps in my process.  I am optimistic that they'll agree. I'm definitely ready to get this done, as I'm about to enter month 14 of this process.
   Again, I can't thank you enough for your enthusiastic support.  When I got the results, I couldn't wait to tell you.  Keep up the good work!
          Be well, Snoopy
PS--I got a kick about your story about the specimen jug.  In my own case, only my wife knows about this "project", and we've had a house full of kids and relatives.  If nothing else, my creative instincts are getting a work-out.

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2011, 01:07:45 PM »
I am happy to report that my most recent (#4) 24-hour urine collection tests for protein in the urine are normal.  Assuming the results from my final test (#5) come in normal next week, I should be able to set a date for the surgery.
   Be well, Snoopy

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2011, 07:26:32 PM »
Hi Snoopy,

Whoooo Hoooo! That is such WONDERFUL news!! I was on vacation for 10 days and was not online at all during that time. I was wondering how you are doing, so logging in and seeing your post made my day!

Thank you so much for the update. Please let us know how the final test goes - I will be watching. Hopefully soon, we will be talking about your scheduled surgery date. :)

Best Wishes,

Linda
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2011, 01:16:34 AM »
Hi, Linda.
  I'm glad you logged on: I was hoping to tell you the good news. You've been a very loyal supporter, and it really made a difference!
     Be well, Snoopy

Offline WilliamLFreeman

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Blood is your renewable resource-please donate it!
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2011, 07:59:53 PM »
Snoopy,

I hope all your remaining tests are A-OK!

Regarding your long post on Aug 18, in which a nephrologist differentiated between donating to a stranger vs. donating to a loved one, I was told the same thing by the Center I applied to.  (I was a non-directed donor, and had some small risk factors for my future health.)

The Center Director was a quite thoughtful physician, who had considered and discussed at length the ethics of non-directed donation before starting the do them (the first Center in WA State to do them).  His concern was that directed donors get benefit by donating (their loved one gets better before their eyes), while non-directed donors "get no benefit."  While I might be acceptable as a directed donor, he told me, the "review committee" rejected me as a non-directed donor, and would not let me proceed with more detailed testing.

I appealed to him and the review committee.  My appeal explained that, as a non-directed donor, I too expected to get an intangible benefit:  immense satisfaction of helping another human being.  (Among other things, I had been a family physician for 30+ years by then -- and that is what I did:  assist other people have a better opportunity to live their life more fully.  That was my career.)  Only I could tell how much "benefit" -- personal satisfaction -- I would receive.  And my personal, intangible, benefit may well be more than the benefit some directed donors received after they donated.

The Director, an ethicist on the review committee, and the committee as whole, accepted my response, and let me proceed with testing.  :)

Please be concerned about your own health -- and thus the well-being of your wife and family.

But, as well, please also keep the values you have, Snoopy.  The world needs more people with your values.  :)

Bill
Bill - living kidney donor (non-directed, Seattle, Nov 24, 2008), & an [aging] physician  :-)

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2011, 05:27:23 PM »
Well, I am happy to report that my fifth (and hopefully final!!!) 24-hour urine tests (this set and the previous focused specifically on protein and albumin) have come back normal.
   Although I am almost afraid to say it, this may be the last real test of the screening process.  My main goal now is to get a date for the surgery. 
   Bill, thank you for your last post.  The more I think about it, the more I marvel at how the ethics board were prepared to deny an MD the right to donate, since there would be no benefit to him.  Aside from the fact that they probably should have realized that you are experienced in assessing and weighing medical risks, did it really never occur to them that people might donate primarily for the "good deed"? [Although I have a hard time using the term, it is called "altruistic donation" for a reason].  Since it's considered a heinous act--and is illegal--to pay a donor, just who do they think are donating, beyond close friends and relatives? If they're going to permit some form of non-directed donation, they should grasp that donors might seek intangible "compensation".
  Still, I realize they're trying to protect us (and, thanks, Bill, for reminding me to guard my own health).  Indeed, the doc who was originally so enthusiastic about terminating my process is precisely the team member I like the most. She's very warm, friendly, and I trust her fully to "watch my back".  If I thought that the team members were vultures out to snatch my kidney, despite it being risky for me, I'd not be able to be so brave and virtuous.  I'd have to focus on protecting myself--which, in such a case, might require running for the hills!  But, with this doc so concerned to protect me, I feel safer pushing ahead.  Anyway, the fears she had last month have been put to rest, hopefully, by my last three tests (24-h urine collections tests #3-5, if anybody's keeping score).
  Again, I want to thank members of this board, such as Linda, Bill, Sherri, Fr. Pat, and all the others who have patiently answered so many of my questions, offered so much encouragement, and been such loyal supporters.
  Also, permit me to repeat a thought I posted last month.  Do you remember Terry, the English fellow who was disqualified because of a borderline GFR?  I don't think he ever had a re-test, and I think he's not been active on the list.  Although I don't know much about GFR tests, I can say that over this summer I've been "threatened" by imperfect blood pressure, glucose, and protein-in-urine lab results.  In each case, the problem, thankfully, disappeared on re-test.  I would highly recommend that anybody who gets abnormal lab results just take a deep breath and request a re-do.  Do not panic, do not get depressed.  Recognize that, especially when they test a gazillion things, one or two might well pop up abnormal, with no true problem present.  Lab testing is not really as precise a business as we might assume, and the human body is immensely complex--it might be thrown off a bit by passing factors such as climate, stress, what you ate or didn't eat (or drink) that morning, etc.  Terry--if you read this, I hope it's not too late to take another crack at it.
   But, if there truly is something wrong with one's GFR, creatinine, etc., and it's not safe to donate, then...you did your best, and there are lots of other beautiful ways to help people.
  Sorry for the long post.
     Be well, Snoopy

Offline jstx

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2011, 03:19:10 PM »
I also find it interesting that some places are saying the urine needs to be kept chilled and some are saying it doesn't.  I was told it did need to be chilled, and had to repeat the test because the first time it appeared that I had "overcollected".  I bought one of those styrofoam coolers and filled it with ice.  Left it next to the toilet and then toted the collection container in a bag back to the doctor's office since it was close by.  I kept the cooler in case I have to do a 24 hour collection in some of my post-donation checks (hopefully I NEVER need it again!) but I am kind of grossed out by thinking about using it for anything else.  At the same time, my practical side says it is a cooler...and the urine was in a container and never touched the cooler...and it can be re-used.  For now, it is designated as a "special" cooler until I can resolve the issue in my mind!  :)
Donated left kidney on 6/6/11 to a recipient I found on LDO
Johns Hopkins Hospital
Baltimore, MD

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2011, 12:18:04 AM »
Yay Snoopy!!

I am so glad to hear that this last test also went well - such awesome news!!! You sure have been though a lot of ups and downs during this testing, but your persistence seems to have really paid off! I am excited now to possibly be hearing of your surgery date in the near future.

I do remember Terry. I believe he was trying to donate to his brother. I have not seen him on the boards since the low GFR update either and I do wonder how he is doing. I do not recall that he had a second test done. I would agree, that a retest for a less than desirable test result is definitely worth it, especially given everything you have been through. I am hoping Terry is doing well and that his brother is able to get a kidney, whether it comes from Terry or another donor.

You are so very welcome for all of the support - that is what we are all here for and what makes this board so great. There really are so many wonderful and supportive people on this board - you are also one of those people. All of the testing you have gone through to help another human shows what a great person you are!  :)

Please do continue to keep us updated. I really look forward to your updates and am so thrilled things have gone so well with your recent tests.

Also, in respsonse to JSTX - I too find it interesting that some places say to definitely chill the urine and others say not to. I am curious if this would alter test results at all. As far as the cooler, I do see your dilema. It should be OK to use for other things, yet the original use would be on the back of my mind as well! LOL

Linda

Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved