| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Newbie Here - Liver Donor  (Read 4307 times)

Offline kcraig24

• My first post!
  • I'm new!
Newbie Here - Liver Donor
« on: April 02, 2018, 03:50:23 PM »
Hello! I am brand new to this forum. I was just approved last week to be a living liver donor to my brother in law. I would love to connect with other liver donors to hear about your experience and any advice. I tried to search past topics but it seems most were years old.

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Newbie Here - Liver Donor
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 07:32:33 PM »
Welcome! I suggest that you also check in at the FaceBook page of Living Donors on Line. These days many more people (including liver donors) post there rather than here.
     best wishes,
    Fr. Pat (kidney donor, '02)

Offline Schulman

• My first post!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 11:33:56 AM »
I've had the same idea as you about coming here, Craig. Cheers, Pat, I'll check out the facebook group even though I'm not that active on FB.
I'm so happy with my probiotics results which came pretty quickly.

Offline cybanez

• My first post!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 12:38:39 AM »
I’m 3.5 week’s post liver donation.  I donated to my uncle.  We’re both doing really well and I have no regrets.
I think the worst of it was the first days in the hospital. I spent 4.5 days in and I think I had something like 6 IVs started at different parts of my body.  I was on a ton of fluids and kept having low magnesium and potassium so they were loading me up with fluids.  I actually gained about 10 lbs in fluids!  The bad part for me was the nausea, but I think that had more to do with lack of appetite and all the medication.
Once I got home, the recovery was quick. I wanted to go back to work at the 2 week mark, but my doc made me wait 3 weeks.  I have a job that mostly involves office work, so that wasn’t an issue. I just finished my first full week back to work.  I’ve definitely been more tired than normal and have been napping a lot.
Overall it was a great experience and I hope I can help others with the decision to be a liver donor!

Offline BillOB_LDLT

• My first post!
  • Liver Donor 2000 at Mt. Sinai, NYC
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 04:37:00 PM »
Hi KCraig, Sorry, but I am also an "old" donor too, but my story hasn't been published on the site yet. At the end I include this advice:
•   More information is better. Like the founder of this site, I was amazed how little information was out there, nor a database to compare previous donations like your own. I had no idea what “serious abdominal surgery” really meant. The Living Donor Buddies idea is fantastic!
•   More communication is better. Beforehand, talk about all the options with all parties involved. Inform those close to you that you will probably not hear or remember anything in ICU, so keep the encouragement flowing throughout the recovery!
•   Be prepared for the worst. Prepare mentally and spiritually for the outside possibility of your own death, and at least the possibility of serious unforeseen complications, for yourself and the recipient.
•   Get good outside support from a trusted, spiritual advisor. This only helped me afterwards, but would have been a great comfort along the way, someone with whom to process my issues with faith and God. Expect the “transplant ordeal” to be harder and more long-lasting on those around you (esp. parents, spouses and children) than you would think. Encourage them to get needed support as well. (*Always better to be pleasantly surprised, if you have an easy experience!)
•   Physical Therapy. Go into the donation with as much “core fitness” as you can, and get advice how and when to appropriately build core fitness afterwards.
All the Best in your donation decision and procedure! 

Offline Moozake_w

• My first post!
  • I'm new!
    • SARMs for sale updated 2022
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2022, 05:36:54 PM »
Hi all, em a newbie here. Hoping that i will have good experience with this forum.

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional