| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Kidneyversary - 13 years  (Read 3400 times)

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
Kidneyversary - 13 years
« on: November 12, 2020, 08:33:37 AM »
Today is our 13th kidneyversary. I can't believe how much time has gone by. I remember lurking on this board so many years ago, reaching out for help. At the time, I was a wife/ mother of school age kids working part time as an ultrasound technologist. fast forward... I am still a wife/mother and now grandmother and work full time as a clinical research nurse in Blood and Marrow Transplant patients. How life has changed. I think I can say I am one of the "veteran" donors.

Thank you all for your help as I navigated the kidney donor journey. I am blessed to say that my brother and I are both doing well. Happy to report a creatinine of .80, same as when I donated. Blood pressure yesterday was 115/70. Weight... still a challenge. My lone kidney falls short in the vitamin D area. I have what is called a conversion defect. The kidney does not convert vitamin D from the inactive form to the active form. I have worked with a great endocrinologist who has titrated different doses of calcitriol to get me in just the right range.

Love connecting with donors on this forum. Still prefer it to facebook.

All the best,
Sherri

Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Kidneyversary - 13 years
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2020, 05:52:28 AM »
Happy Anniversary! Great! I have read that we kidney donors tend toward deficiency in Vitamin D and Vitamin B-12, even with good nutrition and sunshine. So I take a small supplement of each daily just in case, but I have never had my levels actually checked. What you wrote certainly makes sense: getting vitamin D is one thing, but converting it to a usable form is another thing. Thanks for the info.

Offline Michael

• Founder of LDO
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2020, 08:12:54 AM »
Congratulations! Great news all around!
Michael
Living Donors Online
Our mission: to improve the living donation experience

Offline AdrianFR

• Top 100 Poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2020, 06:37:19 PM »
Congrats on your kidneyversary!
I just celebrated a 5-year kidneyversary myself two weeks ago.

I have also been low in Vitamin D my last two annual check ups. I am currently taking a daily supplement,  hoping this helps.

Offline Michael

• Founder of LDO
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2020, 06:47:28 PM »
Congratulations to you, too, AdrianFR!
Michael
Living Donors Online
Our mission: to improve the living donation experience

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved