| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Just saying Hello  (Read 4882 times)

LizAnn

Just saying Hello
« on: August 15, 2011, 09:58:18 AM »
Hi everyone. Just wanted to introduce myself. My fiances Jr High school friend posted on FaceBook one evening about needing his new kidney, I volunteered to be tested and here I am. Neither of us ever thought we would be here. Of all his friends and family not one person has ever stepped forward. I didn't know that til after I had blood test done and they wanted to do tissue sample and I called him to ask him what that was all about. Thats when he informed me. We matched on 3 of 6 points and were a negative on the cross match. We are waiting to see if he is even medically able to undergo the transplant at this point due to the fact his dialysis is no longer working as well on some days.  Its been an interesting journey, my mother thinks I am insane (oh BTW I am 40) my 13 yr old daughter says I am her Hero and I am doing the most amazing thing ever...  lol.  I agree with her.

My recipeint "J" and his transplant center are over 3 hrs away from my home. Its been tough coordinating dates.  I have to still have all the other tests runs... just curious as to what happens next? what tests? other than fasting is there anything else I need to do to prepare? I have heard of grants that are available, are these worth the time and effort?

Other then that I guess I am just looking to find like minded people to talk to.

Liz

Offline audrey12

• Top 50 poster!
Re: Just saying Hello
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 10:38:26 AM »
There are some great pages on this site with questions to ask your surgeon and transplant coordinator.  Ask a lot of questions!  I find the surgeons like that a lot, and get all excited explaining everything to you.  You'll have screening tests including blood work, a 24-hr urine catch, chest xray, CT scan of your kidneys, and all the regular annual-type stuff if you haven't had them in the past year.  Sounds like you have.

Some surgeons require you to fast and clean out your colon before the surgery; some do not.  As you get closer and know what your recovery arrangements will be, keep checking back here and we'll all chime in and tell you our "getting home from the hospital" stories, what it's like in the hospital and after you get home, etc.  They're all similar and they're all different.

And BTW, the social worker who interviewed me (you'll have a psych evaluation also) told me the one person who is always against the donation is the donor's mother.  Go figure.   :D

Best wishes and keep us posted.  It's an amazing journey but so worth it, IMO.
audrey

LizAnn

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 11:07:29 AM »
Hi Audrey

I have to go for the xrays, ct scans yet. They did tell me I would have to fast for 12hrs prior, I can only assume that is for glucose levels. They warned me this could be a pretty long day.

Recovery stories huh??? sounds like scarey stories around a campfire lol.  Recovery should be easy, I hope. I am a student right now... Sociology Major, go figure, was thinking of heading off into hospice or geriatrics with my degree but with hands on experience of donating and the process maybe branch off in the direction of transplant work. But anyways, I have already spoke to my professors and they are all 100% on board as far as absences from class. We will be doing alot online.  My fiance has a 12 yr old, she doesn't require much physical care, bedroom and full bath both on second story. Figure they can pamper me...lol

Will definatly be checking in from time to time.

Offline Michael

• Founder of LDO
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 07:04:02 PM »
Liz,

There's lots of educational information on the LDO web site, as well as descriptions of others' experiences, and even a donor buddy system. Maybe you can start here and then let us know what other questions you have: https://livingdonorsonline.org/kidney/kidney.htm
Michael
Living Donors Online
Our mission: to improve the living donation experience

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 08:39:50 PM »
Hi Liz!

I think you have already recieved some great advise but I just wanted to take a moment to say "Welcome!" I think it is so fantastic that you have stepped forward and offered to help! Please let us know how things are going for you as you go through the testing process. Feel free to post here and ask as many questions as you have. We are all happy to answer!

Best of luck!

Linda
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
  • You may never know the burdens others carry
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 11:09:05 PM »
Liz,

Welcome to the site.  God Bless you for wanting to provide someone such a generous gift-of-life.  Even if you're not able to donate to your intended recipient, you're not out.  You can check into, if you haven't already, paired donation.  There's quite a volume of information out there and on this site about it.  Best of luck and we hope things work out for you and your recipient.  Please keep us up-dated.  Peace and God Bless.

Scott   8)
Scott

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional