| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Water retention and kidney donation  (Read 6313 times)

Offline bergstromtori

• Top 50 poster!
Water retention and kidney donation
« on: August 18, 2011, 07:05:21 PM »
I just read an article where the living donor mentioned that she had 30 lbs of water retention following surgery.  Is that normal?  Just 2 1/2 weeks til I donate.
Thanks,
Tori (Utah)
The donation is being made because I wish that someone could have done something like this to save my moms life.  I am not going to let a disease take my friend from his three kids the way my mom was taken from me, my brother and sister.

Offline Michael

• Founder of LDO
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online
Re: Water retention and kidney donation
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 07:50:14 PM »
That's not normal. Could you provide a link to the article?
Michael
Living Donors Online
Our mission: to improve the living donation experience

Offline bergstromtori

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 07:54:26 PM »
http://amarillo.com/stories/032507/new_7131392.shtml

Here is the link to the article.  It is close to the end where it mentions water retention.
The donation is being made because I wish that someone could have done something like this to save my moms life.  I am not going to let a disease take my friend from his three kids the way my mom was taken from me, my brother and sister.

Offline dodger

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 11:23:38 PM »
Not sure how much you have read, but you should be drinking at least 2 quarts of just water a day, 3 is better.  You want to be very well hydrated going into surgery and now is the time to start.  You will also need to drink this much everyday after surgery to flush out your remaining kidney and keep it healthy.

Celery, cucumber, and fresh squeezed lemons are wonderful diuretics.  You can slice all of this into a 2 quart pitcher of water and refrig over night.  Drink through out the next day along with plain water to equal the 2 quart amount total.  You might be running to the bathroom often, but it will really help flush the fluids from the surgery, especially with the TT you are also receiving.  Or, squeeze 1/2 lemon into a cup of hot or cold water, sweeten with honey or sugar(stevia) and drink. Have at least a couple of these a day to flush the body instead, what ever works for you.  You should also be upping your protein, at least 25 grams per meal, getting ready for surgery, and lots and lots of leafy green vegetables. I wish I had known these things prior to my donation so I could have bounced back faster.  Hind sight puts it all into perspective.
Donated 3/10/11 to my niece at UW Madison, Wi

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 07:37:37 AM »
I had excessive water weight immediately following surgery. The reason is they are pumping you full of fluids duing the surgery and after surgery. I couldn't believe it when they weighed me the first moring after  - I don't remember 30 pounds but I think it was around 10 or 12. They said that is one of the reasons they are so concerned about heart function for both donor and recipient - because the excess fluid is beneficial for the kidney, but it is hard on the heart. It did go away fairly quickly - by the end of a week the water retention was gone.
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

famoran

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 03:12:41 PM »
I weighed 14 pounds more the day I left the hospital than I did when I went in.  That 14 pounds, plus an additional 2 were gone after 4 short days.

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 06:27:55 PM »
This is interesting. I do not remember what I weighed while in the hospital (I was in for 4 days) but when I came home, I actually weighed a few pounds less than I did when I went in for the surgery.
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved