| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: I have a surgery date! (Paired Kidney Exchange Questions)  (Read 3271 times)

Offline sandval

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
I have a surgery date! (Paired Kidney Exchange Questions)
« on: June 30, 2021, 02:44:58 AM »
Yesterday morning I received news that a date had been set for me to donate one of my kidneys through the KPE program and for my dad to receive his transplant. I'm beyond thankful and elated I get the opportunity to help my dad get the kidney he so desperately needs and help someone else in the process. It still hasn't fully sunk in. I'm overwhelmed and feel fortunate that the KPE program exists.

While I'm not concerned about who my kidney goes to, as I know it will be someone that, like my dad, also needs a kidney with the hopes of a better quality of life, my dad however has been plagued with questions about who his donor may be. Not as in the exact identity of his donor, since we know this is confidential, but more so age and lifestyle information that may give my dad an idea of who/how his donor may be. Is this information that may be made available to him? The PKE coordinator at our hospital is on vacation for the coming week so we don't have someone to turn to with this question.

I'm also curious about finding out if we are part of a chain of exchanges. Would our PKE coordinator have access to this info and could she share it with us if we asked?

I'm so excited about all this happening and about the thought that if everything goes well, my dad will have a new kidney by the end of July. I haven't had any major questions or concerns but worry there may be things I have yet to think about that I should prepare for or learn about prior to my surgery date. Are there any things you wish you had known to better prepare for surgery or for life after donation? What about the person for whom you became a donor? Do you know if there is any info they later learned about that would have liked to have known sooner?

Thank you so much for all your help! <3

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: I have a surgery date! (Paired Kidney Exchange Questions)
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2021, 04:21:55 AM »
Best wishes and prayers for your coming surgery. You might like to also post this at the FaceBook pages of "Living Donors on Line" and "Living Kidney Donors Support Group" as there are many more donors who read and post there these days instead of here.

Offline sandval

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
Re: I have a surgery date! (Paired Kidney Exchange Questions)
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2021, 06:08:23 AM »
Thank you! I will look for those groups. Appreciate the guidance <3

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved