| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Husband adopted as a baby intending donate to his wife, learns they are siblings  (Read 852 times)

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/adopted-man-discovers-wife-six-26496406

Adopted man discovers wife of six years is actually his sister

The man discovered he is related to the mother of his two children after trying to save her life by donating one of his kidneys

By Rayana Zapryanova & Paige Freshwater
13:18, 17 MAR 2023

…He explained he was adopted two minutes after his birth - and doesn't know anything about his biological parents as he was part of a closed adoption. However, he was in for a shocking discovery after undergoing testing to see whether he could donate a kidney to his wife of six years.

The man said: "My wife got sick just after our son was born and now is in need of a kidney transplant. We checked with her relatives and none were a match or a viable donor. I knew it would be a long shot so I decided to get tested to see if I could donate. I got a call the other day saying that I was a match. The doctor then said something about wanting to do additional testing due to some information from the HLA (human leukocyte antigen) tissue test results. I didn't think much of it and agreed.”

But when the results came in, the man learned he and his wife had an "abnormally high match percentage". He added: "I was shocked and confused. He explained that because of how DNA information is passed down through generations, a parent to a child could have at least a 50 per cent match and siblings could have a 0-100 per cent match. It was rare to have a high match as husband and wife. I asked what does that mean.”

Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional