| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Iranians Selling Their Organs Abroad Due To Poverty  (Read 1021 times)

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
Iranians Selling Their Organs Abroad Due To Poverty
« on: May 08, 2023, 04:01:33 PM »
https://www.iranintl.com/en/202305040392

Iranians Selling Their Organs Abroad Due To Poverty

With the deepening economic crisis and skyrocketing inflation, the sale of body organs abroad is reaching alarming levels in Iran, local media warns.
Organ trafficking has become a major problem with people selling kidneys, liver, cornea, bone marrow, sperm, and ovum out of poverty.
Jahan-e-Sanat daily wrote Thursday that some middlemen send the prospective donors [N.B.: sellers] to neighboring countries such as the United Arab Emirates, Turkey, and Iraq to sell their body parts for $7,000 to $15,000.
This is the result of the country’s economic crisis, which has left many people struggling to survive. In some cases, people have even been forced to sell their organs to pay for medical bills or to support their families.
The organ trafficking industry has been estimated to be worth millions of dollars, with organs being sold to wealthy individuals. The organs are usually obtained through coercion or deception, with some being promised money and then never receiving it once the organ has been taken out.
Although Iranian law prohibits the sale or purchase of body organs, the online market is booming, and no one is taking action.
“My blood type is O negative, and I am 22 years old. I will sell my kidney for 5 billion rials (10,000 USD). Due to my financial issues, I have no choice but to sell my kidney. If you want my liver, I will sell a part of it for 2 billion rials (4,000 USD),” a young man told Jahan-e-Sanat.
According to government figures, more than 1,480 people receive a kidney transplant from a living donor [N.B.: seller] in Iran annually, which is about 55 percent of the total of 2,700 transplants each year.

[N.B.: There are no more living donors in Iran, only sellers.]
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved