| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Liver donor Scar Pics and advice from experience  (Read 20136 times)

ukrainiangirl

Liver donor Scar Pics and advice from experience
« on: August 29, 2011, 10:37:11 AM »

I donated 60 percent of my liver to my mother in Los Angeles USC transplant center/hospital July 2011.
here is a photo of my scar 14 days after surgery, and after 5 weeks. Incision was glued from inside and no visible stitches except for bile hole on the side had 3 stitches. the sticky tapes wash off after 2 weeks.

Everything went well, it was very painful but once I left the hospital I did not take any painkillers, just stool softeners. I put up with the pain as I could still move around which is important and pills made me throw up.

I am 44 yrs old, I have history of asthma, hate taking painkillers or any medications, my main problem was getting over the general anaesthetic and having nausea from painkillers. Also 2 weeks after I was sensitive to certain foods.

Advice: Very important, try to make sure you are in a stress free environment when you come home from surgery, try to stay at a friends house away from family, away from recipient, it is now time for you to be looked after. peace quiet, movies to watch, music to listen too, internet, skype, lots of pillows, ability to sleep a lot anytime of day, someone to buy you healthy food you crave and need, eat lots of eggs. your friend doesnt need to be there all the time, best if you can just rest and enjoy quiet.

3 weeks after operation I flew back to europe and proceeded to walk as much as I could. Absolutely no lifting heavy bags etc so I booked disabled help for flight and it was great, a very good idea and the left by suitcase behind anyway, just bought clothes/shoes when I got there.

California 'MediCal' insurance does not do follow up for donors so I had to rush back to england where I live and where I have free docter and leave my mother because I needed to be near medical help just in case.

Im so happy I did this donation. My mother is doing fine, has her ups and downs, and I no matter what happens in the future, I will always know that I did all that I could and I happy with that decision.

2 months after surgery I have twinges of pain still and when I move in certain positions and have certain days when I am tired and rest, colds seem to hit me worse, my middle body mobility is great, I can stretch now and do most things, still have to bite my lip when people are carrying bags, I have to stop myself from helping out, picking things up from the the ground is hard, I find that when I walk less every day, my pain is worse, walking really helps everything.

I am happier now that mother is on the mend and making plans for her life and future.

3 things you can do for a successful donation experience:

1/ healthy food and vitamins ( I take p5p, slow-mag/calcium, seaweed, sublingual b12)
2/ stress free and rest
3/ walking

[stale (over 500 days old) attachment deleted]

Offline rdr321

• Top 50 poster!
Re: Liver donor Scar Pics and advice from experience
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 12:00:46 PM »
Thanks for the post and the cool pic of the scar. 

Offline ohtobeahayes

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 03:33:58 PM »
Congratulations on your donation! I hope you and your mother continue to heal and do well. I admire your beautiful heart- I have never donated a part of my liver, but they say that recovery from that is rougher than with kidneys.
Thank you for showing the scars, too! Incredible, what our bodies do, isn't it?
Congrats again!!!
Nicki
Be the change!
Nicki

Offline joshua_david

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 12:13:34 AM »
My scar is identical to yours...I donated 30% to my son.  Congrats!!  :)
Tammy
Mother to Joshua: Joshua was diagnosed with Stage IV Hepatoblastoma at the age of 9 months (Feb.26/07).  After 5 rounds of chemo, I gave 30% of my liver to Joshua (Aug.2/07).
Joshua is 3 years cancer free and is a happy 5 year old.

Mmeaimee

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 11:16:22 PM »
Thanks for showing your scar, it looks like it's healing nicely.  If you don't mind me asking, how old is your mother?  I hope the two of you are doing well! 

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
  • You may never know the burdens others carry
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 05:27:03 PM »
Your mother is quite fortunate to have such a loving, caring and selfless daughter for providing such a special and life-giving gift.  Bless you and your mother and I pray for your continued and full recovery (both of you).

Regards!

Scott   8)
Scott

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved