| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: the waiting game  (Read 6269 times)

Offline ac711a

• Top 200 Poster!
the waiting game
« on: September 16, 2011, 08:31:58 PM »
hi,

I am going to donate a kidney to my mom throught the paired donation program at the U of M.  We have been waiting for two years now for a match.    They keep getting blood from me and it keeps coming back with no match.  The waiting is hard, even though my mom is doing fairly well on dialysis.  So how I was wondering how long others had to wait before they found matches?

Thanks,

Amy

BEC

Re: the waiting game
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 08:51:10 PM »
Hello,

My situation was unique I believe. My ex-husband was told he needed a transplant, I was tested and we had the surgery three weeks later. So he had no wait time at all. I wish you and your mother the very best.

Offline ac711a

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 09:19:10 PM »
wow,  you were very lucky.  thank you for answering

Offline lawphi

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 10:32:18 AM »
What are your mother's antibody levels? 

My husband had high antibody levels and needed plasmapheresis to find a match. We found a paired exchange match after two and a half months at Johns Hopkins.

We waited for several years at a center that did not do pheresis that participated on a national exchange list. 
Bridge Paired Exchange donor on behalf of my husband (re-transplant) at Johns Hopkins.

Offline ohtobeahayes

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 11:21:26 AM »
The U of MN?  There are a few of us who have donated there.
I started a chain there, with the paired exchange program. 
The wait can be long, as you know, because the list is not as long. I'm not sure if they do the plasmapherisis or not there, that is definitely worth asking about!!!!
I am so sorry that it has taken so long. Please keep us updated.  I can't imagine what it's been like to be waiting so.
Much love to you and your mother!

Nicki
Be the change!
Nicki

Offline ac711a

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 07:23:19 AM »
actually at the university of michigan,  I haven't seen anyone else on here who dontated there.  I don't know what my moms antibody levels are, she is not very willing to talk about any of this.  I do know that her antibody level is what made the one hopeful chain fall apart.  I will ask about the plasmapherisis,  thanks

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved