| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Recent More Aggressive Moderation: Welcome? Unwelcome? Unnoticed?  (Read 6009 times)

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
Recent More Aggressive Moderation: Welcome? Unwelcome? Unnoticed?
« on: September 08, 2013, 04:10:36 PM »
  I have unilaterally found myself banning and deleting posts from significantly more members over the past two weeks. This wasn't deliberate or a consensus of we three moderators, just something I realized was happening. On reflection, it isn't because of a spike in numbers of posts overtly violating our Acceptable Use Policy, it is my more suspicious reading and analysis of posts since I came back from vacation. Posts that don't explicitly include sales or brokerage offers nevertheless can be more or less obviously trolling/phishing for offline discussion of such.

I had a bit more time on my hands than usual the past couple of weeks, and started doing thinks like looking at all the posts a member had made once my suspicions were aroused, or how many different IP addresses a user has logged in from. There may be innocent explanations why someone would offer to donate to a dozen different would be recipients, of multiple different blood types and geographic locations, with identical text, including misspellings, from dozens of IP addresses, but even so, this is at least incredibly cruel.

Such behavior patterns, especially over a period of a few weeks to a couple of months, and then again with a different username but the same text, suggest thoughtless, careless cutting and pasting by an individual or group looking for desperate marks. Our Acceptable Use Policy is laudable liberal and tolerant, and I strongly support Michael's intention that this site remain an open, safe discussion forum for all. There are exceptions, including ad hominem attacks, sellers, and brokers. I find myself denying presumptive would be sellers and brokers use of our site and access to our members.

What do you think? Hurrah, keep it up? Boo, relax? Didn't notice, don't care? Do tell. Thanks, all.
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
625 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline Michael

• Founder of LDO
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online
Re: Recent More Aggressive Moderation: Welcome? Unwelcome? Unnoticed?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 06:19:48 PM »
I'm very interested in the feedback of the group.

Frankly, I'm not sure you're being more "aggressive." Rather I think we're experiencing a significant uptick in bad actors coming to the site, so you're just doing more of the same. Not surprisingly the locus of bad acting (so to speak) is the "Looking For..." section. Those who have been around LDO for a while--well, at least 10 years--know we set up that section of the message board to keep the recipient/donor requests out of the focus of this site--the messages to help past, current, and prospective donors.

And you haven't even see all the message I get in the "Contact Us" email. Just more of the same. Ugh.

Have I told you how much I appreciate all you do for this site...  and the Facebook group, and the LinkedIn group, and for living donors? I don't think I could ever say it enough. Thank you!

Godspeed your recovery!
Michael
Living Donors Online
Our mission: to improve the living donation experience

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 06:58:15 PM »
     I have certainly noticed over the past couple of years that the number of "offers" of organs that either state clearly or strongly imply (at least to my way of judgment) that payment is expected has increased, often form overseas. So I do agree that some aggressive monitoring is needed. Given all the problems involved in international donations (visas, travel, insurance, etc.) I wonder if it might be to restrict postings of offers of donated organs to those residing within the United States?
   Fr. Pat

Offline Karol

• Advocate for patients and organ donors
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Jenna after a day at Disneyland
    • Kidney For Jenna
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 02:55:04 AM »
Jenna's facebook is the same, it's become a daily occurrence, messages from international "donors" who want a fee.
Daughter Jenna is 31 years old and was on dialysis.
7/17 She received a kidney from a living donor.
Please email us: kidney4jenna@gmail.com
Facebook for Jenna: https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
~ We are forever grateful to her 1st donor Patrice, who gave her 7 years of health and freedom

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 07:08:18 AM »
Moderating a forum like this is a huge undertaking. I appreciate all of your efforts.

I also noticed more offers from foreign posters. Perhaps difficult economic times increases organ sales. I tend to agree with Fr. Pat that perhaps posts for donation should be restricted to those who reside in the US. I wonder if the same people who offer kidneys or livers would consider being egg or sperm donors or surrogates, or participate in drug studies, where selling is legal. From what I have read many of these people who end up selling their organs through brokers don't get but a few thousand dollars anyway and the surgeries often end up botched for donor and recipient.

I for one welcome increased moderation as it is so unfair to all those who are desperately seeking a donor only to be disappointed when they realize the offer is not for donation but rather for sale.

Sherri

Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 08:39:48 AM »
I don't think you are being aggressive at all, John. You are doing what needs to be done to keep the integrity and reputation of this site intact. If it is not done, it will encourage not only current posters but future posters to continue the same unscrupulous practices.

I am sure it takes a lot of time and extra investigation on your part to be sure. Thank you for doing so.
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 05:36:54 PM »
Thanks, all. Will endeavor to stay vigilant henceforth!
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
625 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline Mizchelle

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 12:17:24 PM »
 Thank you for your efforts. We need a valid forum like this to go to give and receive support!  ;D

Offline jstx

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 09:26:45 PM »
I'm late in the game but I also applaud your vigilance. While those of us that have been around here a while know this is a legitimate site and that the members are wonderfully supportive and full of wisdom & experience to share, if I were new checking out the site I'd be completely put off with offers of donating organs, wanting money, etc. Frankly I don't know how people like Karol (& Dana in my instance) keep sane with all the crazies offering kidneys from abroad. It is cruel to contact people and post offers of something like a kidney only to be a scam artist looking for a buck. So I vote that you keep up the vigilance, and thank you for doing so! It protects our site and keeps it at the top of the leader board for information and support to living donors, their families & recipients.
Donated left kidney on 6/6/11 to a recipient I found on LDO
Johns Hopkins Hospital
Baltimore, MD

Offline Oldnslow

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2013, 11:27:03 PM »
Good and just diligence.  Keep it up!
Oldnslow

"Donated kidney to my brother on Dec 8, 2008"

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional