| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: LA-area post-transplant home healthcare  (Read 3645 times)

Offline Manifesta

• My first post!
  • I'm new!
LA-area post-transplant home healthcare
« on: February 12, 2015, 07:34:25 PM »
We are getting ready for a kidney transplant at UCLA: my partner is the recipient and I'm the donor.  Before UCLA will proceed, we have to arrange "home" health care for the month after the transplant (we may be in a hotel or apartment close to UCLA, rather than at home).  We don't have family that can do this, so we need to hire professionals.  We can ask UCLA for recommendations, but they may not be very helpful.

For anyone who has done this:
a) What kind of care should we be looking for?
b) Where can we find reliable providers in the Los Angeles area?

Thanks

Offline Karol

• Advocate for patients and organ donors
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Jenna after a day at Disneyland
    • Kidney For Jenna
Re: LA-area post-transplant home healthcare
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 11:32:31 PM »
We live in Los Angeles and have been through the process from the recipient perspective. Since you'll both be unable to drive the biggest obstacle is getting your partner to and from the clinic appointments, which are quite numerous the first 3 - 4 weeks. Also it would be hard for you to get groceries or do laundry, as you both cannot pick up anything heavy. I think if you can find someone to drive, and someone willing to help you with daily tasks until the transplant team lets you take on more, you could get by with a little assistance. Your partner should also try to avoid contact with a lot of people, to avoid any illness or infection. Is there any other restrictions that UCLA has mentioned? I can ask around and see if a friend may have a reliable person to help that is close to the Westside.
Daughter Jenna is 31 years old and was on dialysis.
7/17 She received a kidney from a living donor.
Please email us: kidney4jenna@gmail.com
Facebook for Jenna: https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
~ We are forever grateful to her 1st donor Patrice, who gave her 7 years of health and freedom

Offline treehugger

• Top 50 poster!
Re: LA-area post-transplant home healthcare
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 10:22:30 PM »
My husband was the recipient when I donated (paired exchange). My biggest worry, pre-transplant, was both of us having major surgery on the same day. I really didn't know how we would feel and what we would need.

Can you get clarification on what UCLA means by "home health care"? Honestly, all we really needed help with was someone to drive my husband to appointments and someone to walk our dogs. We were lucky that we had my inlaws and friends for that, but we could have handled the drives to the local clinic for blood draws with a taxi and hired a dog walker for the short term.

I prepped a huge amount before. Stocking the freezer and pantry and cleaning the house top to bottom. I ended up going back to work at 3.5 weeks (not actually recommended, but I felt OK and we needed my paycheck). I didn't feel comfortable driving until the 3 week mark.

I sincerely hope that UCLA doesn't intend for you to hire home healthcare workers for a month!

Kara
Donated left kidney to my husband via paired exchange on 12/17/09.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional