| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Finally!  (Read 5181 times)

Offline mintx

• Top 50 poster!
Finally!
« on: December 12, 2012, 04:41:55 PM »
8 Months after mom decided to be tested as a kidney recipient and consented to allow me to be tested as her donor we are FINALLY on the official lits.  We had a few delays, mom would not let me get tested until she was on the list, I waited an extra few weeks to lose a few more lbs, billng snafus, and a coordinator who always seemed to tell me that I needed just "one or two" more tests, then mom needed one or two more.  We are finally and officially "on the list" to find a donor chain that will match us. 

This process seems very similar to friends who are adopting a baby, paperwork and more paperwork and then in can happen at "any time" but most likely not for another six months.  In the meantime I am babying my kidneys and have continued to lose weight, have almost given up diet coke, haven't had ibuprofin since March and bought mom a new robe ( for the hospital) for Christmas. Wish us luck! 

Offline ac711a

• Top 200 Poster!
Re: Finally!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 05:00:53 PM »
I wish you and your mom the best of luck and I hope you don't have to wait too long.  My mom and I are also waiting for a donor chain to match so I feel your pain

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 07:40:17 AM »
Dear mintx,

I'm glad to hear you and your Mom are moving forward! 
I'm also glad to hear you are stopping artificial sweeteners - hooray.
Wishes for your Merry Christmas and a happy new kidney next year for Mom.

Love, elephant

Offline Jewels

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 12:54:32 PM »
Great news!  Good luck finding a match and please reach out to me if you have any Henry Ford questions, I donated there in July 2011.  And, soon you will not even think about Diet Coke!  I had my last one January 2011 and it didn't take long to where it actually sounded gross...I don't miss it at all.

Take care-
Julie
Living Kidney Donor, to my adopted sister
July 15, 2011

Offline mintx

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 02:57:11 PM »
Jewls, you have been a great help already and I still read the board regularly.  When I met with the team they told me that I was "very well informed" and nothing they said suprised me.  I even touched base with airport securtiy on the way back to texas and got some very helpful advice.  This board has been so helpful.  Good Luck to everyone, I will post an update when we have a potential match.

Offline Leah

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 08:05:16 PM »
Good Luck Minx! I go in next week and I'm super nervous. Keep us upda
You're getting your's done at Henry Ford? Is it Henry Ford Detroit?

Offline Karol

• Advocate for patients and organ donors
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Jenna after a day at Disneyland
    • Kidney For Jenna
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 02:14:53 PM »
 :) :) :) Good luck!!
Daughter Jenna is 31 years old and was on dialysis.
7/17 She received a kidney from a living donor.
Please email us: kidney4jenna@gmail.com
Facebook for Jenna: https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
~ We are forever grateful to her 1st donor Patrice, who gave her 7 years of health and freedom

Offline mintx

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 02:56:47 PM »
Leah, yes, Henry Ford in Detroit.  I live in Houston but HF is close to my mom so that is the center we are using.  They have been very helpful, St. Lukes in Houston has done most of my preliminary testing and will most likely do my follow up testing as well.  St. Lukes has been so helpful and friendly, I am amazed at how accomodating they have been working with me and HF.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional