| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Now have a surgery date  (Read 6923 times)

Offline PastorJeff

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Donated non-directed on September 5, 2012 at UCSF
Now have a surgery date
« on: August 10, 2012, 05:56:18 PM »
Thank you all so much for all the good info and kind wishes!!  I will have plenty of questions on the other side. 

My surgery date is September 5th at UCSF. I get to kick off a donor chain of 9 donors and 9 recipients. I know only that my recipent is in PA and that the rest are all over the country- both west and east coast. For you that know medicine- there are four highly sensitized recipients in this chain that if not for the National Kidney Registry forming this chain would likely not get a transplant. May the Lord keep all well that this process may unfold and bless 9 very sick people. I thank the Lord for such a privilege.  :)

Pastor Jeff Smith

Offline MariainDC

• Top 100 Poster!
Re: Now have a surgery date
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 04:07:45 PM »
Great to hear you got a date! Best of luck to you.

Offline treehugger

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 05:16:56 PM »
I donated at UCSF, *and* my recipient was in PA (I was part of a chain, too). What a funny coincidence. :) My surgery was in the afternoon on a Thursday, my kidney flew overnight to Pennsylvania, and, as far as I know, was successfully transplanted into a stranger the next morning. Modern medicine is an amazing thing!

Best wishes to you for a successful surgery and complete recovery.

Kara
Donated left kidney to my husband via paired exchange on 12/17/09.

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 08:32:54 AM »
Dear Jeff,

That is exciting news.  I've been following your posts with interest. 

I think my donation was an undeserved blessing from our Heavenly Father. 

I'll be eagerly looking forward to hearing about your upcoming experiences.  Make sure you baby yourself a little before and a lot after.   

Love, elephant

Offline PastorJeff

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 06:02:28 PM »
Thanks you for your kind words.  I think your words about your donation are a wonderful perspective you were given and can enjoy.  (Many miss it)

I am sorry to hear that you are dealing with UC.  I am praying the Lord will help you through this and give you peace.   

My wife is an RN.  She is taking off 2 weeks to look after me.  I don't think she will let me be a baby. 

I really like elephants!

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 11:47:58 AM »
Dear Jeff,

Thanks for your kind words and prayers.  Nice to have support here, sometimes donors and pachyderms feel like they don't have anyone to talk to who "gets" it!

Love, elephant

Offline Karol

• Advocate for patients and organ donors
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Jenna after a day at Disneyland
    • Kidney For Jenna
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 10:56:14 PM »
Good luck Jeff, hope all goes well.
I hope your wife babies you a little! :)
Daughter Jenna is 31 years old and was on dialysis.
7/17 She received a kidney from a living donor.
Please email us: kidney4jenna@gmail.com
Facebook for Jenna: https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
~ We are forever grateful to her 1st donor Patrice, who gave her 7 years of health and freedom

Offline PhilHoover

• Top 25 Poster!
Praying here...
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 04:16:46 AM »
Pastor Jeff,

Almost 34 months ago I became a living kidney donor....and I would do it again in a second...

Praying here in Chicago for you.
Donated to a former college professor, October 28, 2009. Would do it again in a nanosecond.

Offline PastorJeff

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 10:31:20 AM »
We wait again for this Thursday (23) when we will see if the adjusted chain is a go for all. Just had another cross match.  The chain is adjusted down to 7, nevertheless a privilege to be part of. If so, pre-op comes on the 28th. My sister in law just sent me a special hospital gown made by her small business. It's kind of big but I think I will grow into it--after they inflate me. My wife has taken off two weeks from her RN job to be my RN! There's one nurse it's ok to have a crush on.  :)

Offline treehugger

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 12:00:21 PM »
Enjoy your stay on 9 Long, I know I did! :) Make sure to walk the "Long Mile" and get your T-Shirt. The nurses and patient assistants on that ward are simply amazing. Even the food (and kitchen staff) is good. Also, let your visitors know that they can hang out in the sun room on the southeast corner of the ward. My family never knew it was there, but I found it when my husband was readmitted after the transplant and spent 9 more days on 9 Long. That sun room was a peaceful refuge.

Best wishes,

Kara
Donated left kidney to my husband via paired exchange on 12/17/09.

Offline PastorJeff

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 10:26:55 AM »
Thanks for the encouraging words!  Also the good info.

Jeff 

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional