| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: So many questions - Thank God there is this site  (Read 9766 times)

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: So many questions - Thank God there is this site
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2012, 06:28:57 AM »
I worry some about the risks as I age, but not a lot.  I live in a state that doesn't allow a pre-existing condition to be used as a reason to deny insurance, so that doesn't concern me at all. I figure that any kidney disease I might get would have affected both of my kidneys anyway.

My biggest concern is kidney stones. I have a strong family history of it and reported that to the doctors, who saw none in mine and said you can prevent them with diet and hydration.

I too weighed the risks against my recipient's need for it, his discomfort, how it affected his and MY quality of life for him to be on dialysis. In the end, I decided that the only reason NOT to donate would be fear, and I try very hard not to allow fear to stop me from doing anything.

Seeing how well he already feels less than 3 weeks after surgery makes it worth it. I knew he'd feel better, but not so quick.

Offline SWB

• Top 50 poster!
Re: So many questions - Thank God there is this site
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2012, 04:04:48 PM »
Well, I am totall at peace with donating.  Really want to do it.  So, exercising a lot to get those pounds off and plan on keeping those pounds off going forward.  I am at 178 lbs and according to them I am 5 foot 7 inches.  So, looking to drop at least 15 lbs and possibly as much as 25 lbs to get in the best shape possible to make sure I have done everything I can do bring the BP down through exercise.  Have been really watching what I have been eating, including sodium and have started taking some suppliments that are tied to lowering Blood Pressure.

I realize that the best thing for me to do to lower blood pressure is exercise and watching the sodium levels.  But, not sure how long it is going to take through exercise.  Regardless I am in it to win it (as it were).

Thanks.
Scott
Donated right kidney to uncle
October 18, 2012 at University of Alabama (UAB)

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved