| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: wanting to know if these issues are normal  (Read 21526 times)

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: wanting to know if these issues are normal
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 08:06:25 PM »
mobico-my surgery was Tuesday, January 31st, first thing in the morning. Israel is 7 hrs ahead of us in NY, so I'm confused...was yours on Monday, or the 31st?

I do think everyone reacts differently for sure. I was up and alert after my surgery and everyone kept saying, "You don't look like you just had surgery!" I'd never had surgery before so I had nothing to compare to. Some people say it took them a solid 2-3 months to feel normal again, I feel normal now, with the exception of the numb leg.

I was out of the hospital the next day and could have been back to work in 10 days easily. I took the third week off to help my recipient, who himself seems ahead of the recovery curve. He was reduced to once a week clinic visits after a week and back to work after 3. His doctor said most recipients take 3 months off.

I'd imagine there are lots of factors that go into it, but it is very interesting.

Offline mobico

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2012, 03:00:27 PM »
PaulaHalvo - Interesting regarding your caesarians. In truth, this doesn't prove the point unless you know that it was the same surgeon who performed each one the same way each time. But chances are that you're right anyway. I have read that although laparoscopic kidney surgery is a slightly less serious surgery than a caesarian since the muscles are not necessarily cut through at all and certainly not internally, the two are still quite similar in terms of recovery.

CK - Whoops! You're right. Mine was Monday the 30th first thing in the morning (which means that our surgeries were 17 hours apart). I was knocked out for the entire day of my surgery. I was back to a regular full schedule within the week; however, I am only now beginning to fell fully "back to myself". My recipient is not allowed to leave his house for three months so as to reduce the possibility of his contracting something while on anti-immunity drugs. Interesting indeed!

Offline PaulaHalvo

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2012, 07:08:41 AM »
I'm sure my recovery could have also had something to do with my age!  For me this was far more difficult, but I'm 20 years older than when I had my last c-section!  Also, I don't do well with general anesthesia...another factor.  Anyway, two weeks out, I'm feeling great and the word is that my kidney is working in someone in California.  So that's what matters. 

Offline mobico

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2012, 03:44:09 PM »
Glad to hear that your surgery was successful on the other end! As CK said earlier regarding her lack of testicular pain, I can't really empathize with earlier caesarians (thank G-d my wife can't either)! I am in my mid thirties and in good health. I am pleased that my recovery seems to be "typical" in a broad sense after reading up on this site. I am now a month post-surgery and am mostly feeling fine with a couple of small lingering issues.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved