| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Cardiac Ablation with Donor CKD3?  (Read 3269 times)

Offline PastorJeff

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Donated non-directed on September 5, 2012 at UCSF
Cardiac Ablation with Donor CKD3?
« on: June 07, 2021, 09:43:45 PM »
I have episodic Atrial Fib which can be bad for my solitary kidney.  It has been controlled with medication but now seems more frequent.  My cardiologist is advocating a cardiac ablation to stop the AFIB.  Has anyone here had that procedure?  Any words of wisdom?  I have been reading some studies and intend to speak with my nephrologist.  Thanks

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Cardiac Ablation with Donor CKD3?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 07:48:11 AM »
Pastor Jeff,

sorry to hear that you have developed some cardiac issues since donation. Cardiac ablation is a common procedure to stop A fib if not adequately controlled with medication. I used to work in cardiology as a vascular sonographer so I am familiar with this patient population. It does sound a little scary so i can understand your concern. Your electrophysiologist (the specialty in cardiology that deals with the electrical nature of the heart) can be a great resource.

Questions you can ask your nephrologist is about the effects of the medication you have been on for the A fib and how it effects kidneys. is it kidney friendly? The ablation per say, should not effect your kidney. Sedation will most likely be used so you can ask your nephrologist about the different medications and nephrotoxicity. You will have blood work before to check you kidney function.

if the ablation is successful you might be able to be off the A fib medication. do you take anticoagulation like aspirin, warfarin. eloquis or any of the other anticoagulation meds on the market? how has your nephrologist advised you with that? again, all risk versus benefit.

let us know how it goes. and wish you best of luck with your procedure.

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline Michael

• Founder of LDO
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 10:50:26 AM »
Jeff,

Not exactly on point, but I have a friend -- not a kidney donor -- who had chronic afib. Had the ablation about 18 months ago and has been afib-free ever since. A big positive change for him.

Hoping for the best for you!
Michael
Living Donors Online
Our mission: to improve the living donation experience

Offline PastorJeff

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2021, 11:16:10 AM »
I think I have it figured out.  After donation my kidney did not compensate much and left me with CKD3.  A few years later the Atrial Fib kicked in.  The human body is very much interconnected.  One thing affects the other.  I believe the CKD caused the AFIB and now the AFIB can damage the kidney.  So now I'm looking at an Ablation which it has been found can improve renal function long term.  Anyway that's my theory based on researching a number of studies. 

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2021, 08:19:59 PM »
Dear Jeff,
      I know nothing about the medical aspects, so can't offer any advice or information that would help. I can and do offer you my prayer and loving support.

Offline PastorJeff

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2021, 12:36:34 PM »
Thank you all for your kind, helpful and Sherri for your words informed by experience.  Thank you Father Patrick for your prayers. I see the EP (the heart electrician) this week.  It may turn out my wife has to have the same procedure.  I wonder if we could get a discount. ;-)

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved