| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: TRAVEL AFTER SURGERY  (Read 5258 times)

Offline jatopa

• Top 25 Poster!
TRAVEL AFTER SURGERY
« on: November 10, 2011, 09:47:43 AM »
So I'm trying to decide if I should fly to Paris from Los Angeles 4.5 weeks after surgery.  If I go, I need to buy tickets now, to insure that I am on the same flights as my  friends, who will manage my bags for me.  I won't have to lift a thing, just carry a light bag. 
I've heard you can return to work 4 to 6 weeks after laparoscopic nephrectomy...why not just go to Paris instead?
Any thoughts from those who have gone through this?
Thank you!

Offline audrey12

• Top 50 poster!
Re: TRAVEL AFTER SURGERY
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 10:22:12 AM »
Talk to your surgeon is the best advice I can give you.  I flew home two weeks post-op, a 4-hour flight.  My surgeon said to make sure I could get up and stretch my legs, I wore compression stockings, and took an aspirin the day before and the day of my flight.  I was fine.  Paris is a long haul so you may want to check with the airline to see if they'll upgrade you to more legroom but not charge you because of your donation.  And have a wonderful time.  Paris!
audrey

Offline lawphi

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 03:26:51 PM »
I felt up to a trip to Paris a month after surgery and I went back to work after ten days. 

So much depends on your personal recovery.
Bridge Paired Exchange donor on behalf of my husband (re-transplant) at Johns Hopkins.

Offline rdr321

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 03:45:01 PM »
 I think everyone is different. At 6 weeks I was ready to go back to a office job. I was not 100% physically well. You really will not know how well you will feel until you yourself are at 4.5 weeks. Looking back I don't think it would have been such a good idea for me to do a large trip that you are planning.
   Before my surgery. I read everything,read all the posts on this site. And still I did not really understand that donating a kidney is major surgery.
  I am now at 3 months post surgery. If I lived a mostly sedentary life. I would probably say that I was now fine. But I have been is shape my whole life, and I like to be active. I still do not have the stamina I had before. The incision is not fully healed on the inside. If I stretch it it can bother me for a couple days. I am assuming it will be another 3 months at least for me to be as active as I once was.
   As far as my surgoen is concerned. Because my kidney funtion is good and the outside of the incision is healed. I am good to do anything, but I know this is not the case.
   I am 44 years old. You should ask lawphi how old she is. I think age has something to do with recovery time

Offline jatopa

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 09:40:54 AM »
Thanks for the advice!   I think I'll check out my frequent flyer miles, get a ticket that is refundable or get cancellation insurance and just book it with the knowledge I may have to cancel.
I know I would be very sad if I was well enough to go, but it was too late to get on my friends' flights.  Flying with them is essential, so I won't have to lift a thing.

On a lighter note, I told another friend I would be giving my brother a kidney for Christmas, and she said "You've had that thing for 60 years.  I think this clearly comes under the heading of 'REGIFTING' ".
HAHHAHAHHA

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved