| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Pleasant news  (Read 7118 times)

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Pleasant news
« on: December 04, 2011, 06:49:21 PM »
     I took up running after my kidney donation surgery and eventually got up to Marathon distance. As my 10 year donation anniversary will come around in February, and I'll have my 66th birthday in December, I thought I would make one last try at a Marathon and then cut back to shorter runs from now on. I was not at all sure I could do it again, but on Sunday I joined 25,000 other runners in the big "Naha Marathon" here in Okinawa, Japan, and although the last half was quite a chore I did make it to the finish line in 5 hours, 54 minutes & 34 seconds: just fast enough to get my Ryukyu Glass "Finisher" medallion.
     So, while it is very important that donors who have health complications or problems share their experiences to help potential donors it is also helpful, I think, to keep sharing the success stories. As donors we should be very pro-active about maintaining our kidney health and over-all health. To all donor-runners: "Keep on going!"
     best wishes,
        Fr. Pat (donor, '02)

laurielee

Re: Pleasant news
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 06:55:25 PM »
Great news, I do agree it is a positive thing to hear when donors do great, and you are definitely a success story.  I would give anything to be in your shoes and have the ability to do such a great thing, and feel so good about yourself.  This was pleasant news for sure.

Offline jatopa

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 08:13:24 PM »
Congratulations!   Quite an accomplishment and very inspirational!

Offline dodger

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 10:10:03 PM »
Oh congratulations!  That is a wonderful accomplishment, even if it might be your last, maybe. 

I have tried running training several times this last summer and my knees would have no part of it, I'm now 60.  So I can really appreciate the hard work you have put into this.  My one son has started mini's this summer, and our daughter is up to 10K.  Guess I will only be a walker and support team for them, haha

Thanks for sharing this bit of your life with us,  best wishes,   Janice
Donated 3/10/11 to my niece at UW Madison, Wi

Offline WilliamLFreeman

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Blood is your renewable resource-please donate it!
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 06:32:16 AM »
Fr Pat,   WAY TO GO!!

Dodger,   I was able to extend my marathon years to my mid 60's by converting to race walking.  [I had had to stop marathoning due to 2 consecutive stress fractures.]  Much easier on the knees, hips, and lower extremity bones -- though my times were slower.

Bill
Bill - living kidney donor (non-directed, Seattle, Nov 24, 2008), & an [aging] physician  :-)

Offline Michael

• Founder of LDO
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 08:51:45 AM »
Fr. Pat,

Thanks for sharing your success story. You're a great inspiration!
Michael
Living Donors Online
Our mission: to improve the living donation experience

Offline ohtobeahayes

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 09:18:53 AM »
You so completely rock!!!  Nice job!!!!!!!!!!!!  You are such an inspiration! THANK YOU!
Be the change!
Nicki

Offline Jewels

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 01:23:53 PM »
Wow!  Fr Pat...fantastic!  I have done 1 full marathon (pre-surgery) and I am not sure I have the guts to do another...you are an inspiration!  I have done 4 Half's (most recent was 2 weeks prior to surgery 4.5 months ago) and I just signed up for my next Half for next June...training has started!

Thanks for sharing your accomplishment!
Julie
Living Kidney Donor, to my adopted sister
July 15, 2011

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 01:28:24 PM »
A wonderful feat at any age! Thanks for the inspiration!
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline bergstromtori

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 03:01:19 PM »
This is great.  I ran the Ogden Marathon (my 8th) with my recipient last May.  He had dialysis the night before and still ran great.  The running helped clean his blood.  The donation was in September.  We are now signed up for the Ogden Marathon 2012.  It will be great that he won't be on dialysis and to show eveyone that 8 months post op I am back to normal.  I am only up to 7 miles right now, but I am making great progress every week.  I am even started to get some of my speed back.
The donation is being made because I wish that someone could have done something like this to save my moms life.  I am not going to let a disease take my friend from his three kids the way my mom was taken from me, my brother and sister.

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 03:47:06 PM »
Bravo!  I prefer rowing and bicycling to running for aerobic exercise, and have been a Red Cross volunteer aid worker for the Boston Marathon in the past.  My amazement at how many folks take up such grueling distance running despite the risks is undimmed.  Kidney donation is easier, from my perspective!  Glad it brings you joy and that you have met this personal goal. 
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 04:13:03 PM »
Fr. Pat,

May you continue to be blessed with good health! Go forth and be strong!

All the best,

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 06:38:23 PM »
That is so fantastic Fr. Pat! You are such a great example for the rest of us to follow - WONDERFUL job! :)

Linda
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
  • You may never know the burdens others carry
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 06:55:34 PM »
Fr. Pat,

You're my hero.  I too only began running since my donation surgery.  I currently run 5-7 miles several times each week.  I love it and my body appears to also.  You will be my inspiration, to continue running that is.  I don't see me ever running a full marathon, but I plan on running a half this early summer.  Thanks for being such a great HEALTH-MODEL friend.

Regards (and happy 66th!   ;D  )

Scott   8)
Scott

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved