| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Northeast chapter leaves NKF, citing shift from patient services  (Read 4532 times)

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
Northeast chapter leaves NKF, citing shift from patient services
« on: December 09, 2011, 10:43:45 AM »
http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Kidney-groups-drive-in-different-directions-2208561.php

Kidney groups drive in different directions
Northeast chapter leaves national foundation, citing shift from patient services
By CATHLEEN F. CROWLEY

"They are a strong, vibrant and necessary organization, but they are shifting away from direct patient services," said LaFleur, executive director of the Capital Region group.
The National Kidney Foundation (NKF), which is based in New York City, has suffered three straight years of serious financial losses. The $55 million organization ran a $2 million deficit in fiscal year 2011 and an $8 million deficit in 2010. In June, NKF laid off 25 percent of its workforce, about 50 people, and closed its office in Buffalo and cut most of the employees in the Rochester office.
NKF also announced it would focus on research, education and early detection, and -- the last straw for some -- eliminate direct assistance to kidney patients.

Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online!
National kidney group plays hardball in Albany
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 10:45:31 AM »
http://blog.timesunion.com/healthcare/national-kidney-group-plays-hardball-in-albany/3065/

National kidney group plays hardball in Albany
by Cathleen F. Crowley

Just when a local Kidney group started getting momentum, they heard that the national organization was stepping on their turf again.

The Northeast Kidney Foundation broke away from the National Kidney Foundation this summer. The local chapter and others across the country were concerned that the national group is moving away from direct patient support.

After they made the break, Carol LaFleur, executive director of the Northeast Kidney Foundation, said donations to the local group’s Kidney Wheels program fell off. The group has been trying to raise awareness that the local Kidney Wheels is different than the national group’s Kidney Cars. Since a story ran in the Times Union about the local group’s disaffiliation, donations went up 25 percent for the local program.

But LaFleur recently learned that the NKF is launching a $15,000 radio campaign in the Albany area promoting Kidney Cars. The ads will run from late November through February.

“Generally, they only do major media markets, so it’s interesting they will place advertising in Albany,” LaFleur said. “They are just trying to maintain this foothold in this region, even though we are the folks that have been providing the services here.”

The local group advertises on local radio, TV and newspapers, but does not have the money to match NKF’s campaign.

“By hurting us, it hurts patients,” LaFleur said.
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online!
Thanks for kidney program efforts
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 10:46:55 AM »
http://www.timesunion.com/opinion/article/Thanks-for-kidney-program-efforts-2374967.php

Thanks for kidney program efforts

I am writing in response to Cathleen Crowley's blog posting that appeared in The Pulse on Nov. 14, "National kidney group plays hardball in Albany," and her Oct. 8 story, "Kidney groups drive in different directions."
As the founder of what is now the Northeast Kidney Foundation, I want to thank Crowley and the Times Union for bringing awareness to the local services available for kidney and transplant patients, and the importance of making sure we are supporting the local organization when considering a donation, including a car donation.
It was 39 years ago that my daughter needed a kidney transplant — and I became her donor. This experience taught me the great importance of providing support services to patients and family members living with this illness. That is why we founded the local organization.
The decision to separate from the national organization was made so that services would continue to be available for patients and family members for many years to come. The kidney wheels program plays an important part in annual fundraising efforts and it is disappointing to me see the efforts being put forth to divert funds from this region.
We applaud your efforts to make sure the public understands that the local car program is the kidney wheels program, and the local organization working hard to improve lives every day is the Northeast Kidney Foundation, http://www.healthykidneys.org.
Edwin Sperber
Albany
The writer is the founder of the Northeast Kidney Foundation (formerly the National Kidney Foundation of Northeast New York).
Proud grandpa!

Offline Donna Luebke

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Certified Adult Nurse Practitioner/kidney donor
Re: Northeast chapter leaves NKF, citing shift from patient services
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 08:01:44 AM »
Clark,

Thanks for posting this information.  I heard at our OPO Board of Directors Retreat that NKF was having financial issues.  What does this mean for the "End the Wait" campaign and educational programs targeted at identifying groups at risk for ESRD?  Maybe Jennifer Martin can answer.  If goal is education--how many patients will suffer when no longer get services.  Non-profits are given this status and basically are 'owned' by those they are meant to serve.  Concern then is how will NKF survive as a non-profit if not serving ESRD patients?  I heard the franchising of local units is what was their financial demise. 

I like to use guidestar.com to look at 990 tax returns for non-profits.  Has the Ex. Director of NKF and his staff taken pay cuts? At one time, the Ex. Dir was making about $600,000 year.  My rule of thumb is not to contribute to any 'non-profit' that would pay its upper management this type of money.  Can find tax returns on all Organ Procurement Organizations, too on guidestar.  The IRS has cracked down on non-profits and Board members have new responsibilities. Serving on the Board of our OPO has been a great experience. Fiscally conservative. Have to answer to both CMS and the IRS which makes me a little more nervous. 
Donna
Kidney donor, 1994    Independent donor advocate
MSN,  Adult Nurse Practitioner
2003-2006:  OPTN/UNOS Board of Directors, Ad Hoc Living Donor Committee, Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organs Committee, OPTN Working Group 2 on Living Donation
2006-2012:  Lifebanc Board of Directors

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved