| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Kidney Care package......need suggestions from donors please  (Read 21256 times)

Offline midwestgal

• Top 100 Poster!
Kidney Care package......need suggestions from donors please
« on: January 22, 2012, 11:30:14 AM »
I just found out that a co-worker has to have a kidney removed. I would like to make her an after surgery "care package". Since I have not donated yet, I am looking for thoughts from those who have had surgery on what is needed & appreciated after surgery. (plus it would help me to be prepared, as well :) )
Thank you for your help!!

Offline mom2three

• Top 100 Poster!
Re: Kidney Care package......need suggestions from donors please
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 12:09:45 PM »
My co-workers created a care package for my kidney donation recovery. Each person contributed what they thought i would enjoy during my 3 weeks off work, so it was a great compilation. Some lent me TV series DVDs, books to read, sudoku puzzle books, my favorite candy, gift cards to carry out restaurants so I didn't have to cook for my family, etc. It was a great send off gift.
Donated to cousin on 6/29/2010 at Cleveland Clinic

Offline That guy

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 08:45:44 PM »
Find out if she has any loose fitting clothing.  If not, get her some.  I made that mistake......my poor, poor tummy.  Then again, it was my fault.   :-\

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 01:06:14 AM »
How nice of you to do this! Our co-workers also sent us a care package when I donated to my Husband. My Coorindator also gave me a care package. We really appreciated all of it so much. We received books, magazines, crossword puzzles, word searches, and lots of snacks.

One co-worker also did something I thought was really unique and neat. She sent us a card with twenty scratch off lottery tickets inside. It sounds funny, but my Husband and had a lot of fun with that. We each took 10 and scratched them off. Between the two of us, I think we won about $5.00. It was just something different and fun, as a that point, neither one of us was able to do much! LOL I also would suggest lotion and lip balm. (I really dislike my lips and hands being dry! ;)

Linda
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

Offline llinton98

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 11:55:54 AM »
I loved my Lavender pillow spray from L'Occitane - really helped me relaxed me the hospital, I brought my own pillow of course. How about Extra strength Tylenol, GasX, a nice shower gel and lotion, maybe some comfy new cotton socks.

Offline Jewels

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 01:48:07 PM »
This is so nice of you, and like you said, good prep for yourself!  I was very nauseous for a couple weeks and salty snacks like pita chips and saltines were my best friend.  I also had a hard time concentrating enough to read, so magazines with good pictures and DVD's were great - maybe a gift subscription to Netflix.  Lotions, potions and fragrant soaps were also nice.

Best wishes-
Julie
Living Kidney Donor, to my adopted sister
July 15, 2011

Offline midwestgal

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 05:24:41 AM »
Thanks everyone!!!   I really appreciate your suggestions:) 

Offline lawphi

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 08:24:41 PM »
Thermacare instant heating pads for shoulders performed miracles.
Bridge Paired Exchange donor on behalf of my husband (re-transplant) at Johns Hopkins.

Needtoknow

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 02:31:47 AM »
I would agree with the lavender pillow spray suggestion! I found it invaluable in the hospital to take way all the horrible hospital smells and atmosphere. Also, cooked meals when you get home are a great help, one less thing to do. A small cushion for pressing against your scar when moving about in the first few days is also handy.

Poppylicious

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 11:42:20 AM »
I don't know if I'm a little late but can I suggest one of those long handled grabbers?  I really wish I'd had one of those for those awkward moments when I needed to pick something up and couldn't bend over to retrieve it (or could, but caused pain to ripple through my belly!)

;D

Offline midwestgal

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 08:17:23 AM »
Thank you for your suggestions!!!  My co-workers helped me put together a very large box for her recovery:)   The surgery was a success & she is home doing well. 

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved