| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Surgery coming up...  (Read 5492 times)

Offline jennybebopper

• Top 50 poster!
Surgery coming up...
« on: February 16, 2012, 10:30:26 PM »
I am donating in less than two weeks now.  Really excited...in a way that I don't think people outside of this forum understand.  Thank you to everyone who posts regularly so I have a realistic idea of what to expect.  I think my biggest fear is staying busy/motivated with all the time off.  Based on all the experiences here, I have a feeling I will be more wiped out than I can prepare for the first couple weeks...but I have to take at least 6 weeks off due to my job.  Good time killing ideas, other than walking lots?

APV

Re: Surgery coming up...
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 12:20:03 AM »
Enjoy the time off.  Rest, walk, rest, walk then take a nap. :D   I was not one of those people that felt ready to go back to work in two weeks.  I needed the full 6 weeks.  I was feeling better by week 2, but not ready for work full time until after six weeks.

Angelics   

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Non-directed donation, Oct., 2011
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 05:28:11 AM »
In my own case, I was able to start working from home after about two weeks, and I was back to work in three.  One caveat:  I took inter-city taxis for the first month or so back at work. I don't drive, and didn't feel up to standing at bus stops, on buses, etc. during a commute that can approach 4 hours, round-trip.  The taxis made the difference for me.  But the main point is that I could work normally after only three weeks.  Everybody's different, but you may not have so long or rough a recovery period.  I certainly didn't.  Good luck! Snoopy

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 08:45:14 AM »
I'm 17 days post surgery and I feel great. I only took 3 weeks off from work because I'm self-employed and not getting any income during this time. I could have gone back this week but I took the time to help my recipient, with whom I more or less live, because he can't drive yet.

If you are lucky and recover quickly, you will have a nice 6 week vacation! I've been taking my dog on long walks, watching movies, cleaning the house, getting appointments in (dentist, etc.). My recipient had a double nephrectomy as well as transplant so his recovery is slower...we can't do much active stuff.

Good luck. I hope it goes well. I was worried about how long it would take to get back to normal but it's been really quick.

Offline Lansdowne11

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 11:06:48 PM »
I donated on February 8th, and today, February 17th, I feel great. If you have the opportunity, have friends drop by for visits. I can't say this for everyone, but I felt fairly good after the fourth day. Friends drove me to the store, and I was able to get out and about. Staying around people will make life so much better. I've only had one day alone, and it was long and rather boring. The time I've spent with friends and family have been great.

Offline jstx

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 08:54:45 PM »
I didn't do much of anything while I was out from work; I was out 6 weeks.  I had books lined up to read, knitting and crochet projects to do, and some sewing but I ended up surfing the web, watching t.v. and just generally relaxing.  Didn't feel like concentrating on much.  I did have some friends pick me up for short shopping trips but no carrying bags or a heavy purse and be careful with standing and walking for very long.  I would say hold off on the house work until at least week 4 but probably no vacuuming for the first 6 weeks!  You don't want to hurt anything!  I enjoyed my time off but wish I'd gotten more of my hobbies done.  But I also have to remind myself that I didn't have a "to do" list while I was out....well, I had one to do I suppose---recover!  Line up some things you enjoy that don't take a lot of physical stamina or strength and do them if you feel up to it.  If you don't, don't beat yourself up.  You can always watch your favorite movies and catch up on rest!
Donated left kidney on 6/6/11 to a recipient I found on LDO
Johns Hopkins Hospital
Baltimore, MD

Offline audrey12

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 10:06:23 PM »
I echo jstx, I had almost the same experience.  If you're a reader, line up those books!  If you like movies, record/DVR them or rent them.  Ask your friends to lunch or a movie.  By week 6 you're almost normal except the fatigue can hit later in the day so don't plan to be out for hours.  Accept that you will be called a hero and an angel and a wonderful person and let people do things for you.  For many people being able to do something for YOU is the closest they'll get to doing what you did.  Let them be nice to you.  It's been four years since I donated and occasionally a friend or relative will proudly tell someone else that I donated a kidney. Their support means a lot to them so let them support you.  And enjoy. 
audrey

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved