| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Surgery yesterday went well  (Read 9941 times)

Offline cupid

• Top 25 Poster!
Surgery yesterday went well
« on: February 25, 2012, 06:35:50 AM »
Good morning to all. My kidney donation surgery went very well yesterday! The kidney started working immediately! We are both resting comfortably. What an awesome feeling this is!

Offline SWB

• Top 50 poster!
Re: Surgery yesterday went well
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 07:58:54 AM »
Great to hear.  Wish you both a speedy recovery.  I hope to be joining the club soon and really enjoy hearing so quickly from folks post-op!  Blessings to you both.  - SWB
Scott
Donated right kidney to uncle
October 18, 2012 at University of Alabama (UAB)

Offline Michael

• Founder of LDO
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 09:34:15 AM »
I continue to be amazed how quickly donors recover these days. I had open nephrectomy in 1991 and--believe me--I was in no condition to talk or write to anyone after the first day!

Congratulations on a successful donation!
Michael
Living Donors Online
Our mission: to improve the living donation experience

Offline Lansdowne11

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 02:40:12 PM »
Congratulations!  Day 1 is the hardest. I'm a little two weeks past the donation day, and I'm feeling great. I went back to work a few days ago, and although it was a bit rough, it was good trying to get back into the swing of things. I'm grateful for all the progress that has been made in the surgical procedures, and I hope seeing the quick recovery among donors encourages more people to do it. I wish you well as you and the recipient continue to heal. It's a great feeling to know that your kidney started working immediately in the recipient. May that continue working out well, too.

Offline julian

• Top 100 Poster!
    • Julian Cook - Free Range Human
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 02:56:22 PM »
Congratulations! I am recovering myself after a Monday surgery. It's coming along great and you'll do fine. Welcome to the club. :-)
----
Free Range Human - http://juliancook.com

Offline mobico

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 06:05:37 PM »
I was out for most of the first day. In fact, one of the only things that I remember is my surgeon waking me up in the recovery post-op room, and my asking him if the kidney had taken (very well!). Make sure that you move around, even though it is very hard at first. Fell better soon, and congratulations!

Offline PaulaHalvo

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 05:44:44 PM »
I'm thirteen days out from my surgery, and there was no way I was posting my first day!  Congratulations on feeling so well. 

Offline cupid

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 11:38:16 AM »
Hi everyone! I feel fantastic- only very tired and minor discomfort- so thankful for the wonderful support system i have!

BranBas

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 05:05:37 PM »
This is such an amazing thing to read! I hope you both have a great recovery!

Brandi
http://fromnonetoone.wordpress.com/

Offline cupid

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 08:56:16 AM »
Well I think I jinxed myself-I felt great the first few days-now I am six days out of surgery and feel -well, not so great. Can't eat much, am very tired and my head feels fuzzy. I am going to venture out with my parents for a bit today and see if I can shake this off. I read some other threads and it all seems normal. Any thoughts?

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 09:12:01 AM »
Best wishes!  Walk, walk, walk, drink water, nap, repeat. Six days out seems about right for the psychological hump of expectation and hope for an end to restrictions outrunning physical ability, which also affects mental functionality.  Best wishes!
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline PaulaHalvo

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012, 02:07:40 PM »
Six days out I was still sleeping on and off all day and not eating more than a bite or two of food. Somewhere around day ten things got dramatically better. Don't overdo, your body needs to heal. Blessings.

Offline mobico

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2012, 03:18:14 PM »
I felt terrible at first, barely functioned for 3-4 days, and was back to my normal schedule (I was pushing, of course, but still - I could) by six days later. So each one of us is different! But your issues do sound normal. Give i time - you'll soon be feeling much better, hopefully.

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 09:09:38 PM »
lpdmd-

I felt great at first...was discharged the day after surgery and back up at the hospital the day after that visiting my recipient. Then I had two days of what I finally figured out was scopolamine withdrawal. I felt motion sick all the time...nauseated, dizzy and generally miserable. I didn't call the surgeon (he gave me the hairy eyeball for that later) because my father is a doctor and my sister is a nurse, and together we figured out what it was.

Apparently some people have this withdrawal a day after they take the patch off. Don't know if you had a patch to help with the anesthesia nausea or not, but that might be what's going on if you did.

Offline cupid

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2012, 10:01:28 AM »
Thank you everyone for your comments. I did not have the scop patch-just zofran. I think everyone is right-give it time, I"m healing , don't overdue it etc. I am just so impatient!! Well it is Sunday the day of rest, so that is what I shall do. I am so grateful to all your answers. Its nice to hear from people that have already gone through this! :D

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved