| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Re-implanting a once donated kidney  (Read 4525 times)

Offline andy

• Top 200 Poster!
Re-implanting a once donated kidney
« on: March 19, 2012, 02:55:57 PM »
Hello Again, Thanks to all who replied to my post about my feelings about losing my kidney recipient after eight years. They were very helpful and I am slowly getting better (we all know that time is the only thing that heals). One thing that has also been bothering me: Does anyone know if my old kidney could have been re-implanted in a deserving person after it had already been implanted once before? To my knowledge, the old kidney was fine and still had some life left in it. If this is possible, it was not done in the case of my recipient (despite his being a willing organ donor). The reasons are complicated. He did not die in a hospital and his doctor waited a week before he could find time to sign the death certificate. The bottom line is that I would have liked to see my old kidney go to someone else, but this was not done. Obviously this is getting into the issue of how are wishes are not always honored when it comes to organ donation. Is there a way to make sure that my remaining kidney (and any other useful organs) are in fact taken for donation, whatever the circumstances of my own death? Any insight into any of this is greatly appreciated. Andy

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Re-implanting a once donated kidney
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 03:25:41 PM »
We actually found out the answer to this when my sister-in-law passed away about five years ago. She was a kidney transplant recipient and an organ donor. My brother was advised that they could not use any of her organs because of the medications that transplant recipients have to take and their effect on those organs. However, she able to give the gift of sight to someone, as the eye bank could use her corneas.

Hope this is of some comfort to you.
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Re-implanting a once donated kidney
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 04:21:42 PM »
Andy,

It is true with all the medications that a recipient takes to keep their body from rejecting the kidney makes it quite impossible to harvest that kidney and use it in someone else. As far as I know, I don't think transplant recipients can even donate blood because of all the antibodies and drugs. Some transplant recipients decide to donate their body to science upon death to be used for research.

The other question you had about how you go about organ donation after death is a good one. Everyone should have a living will and advanced directives. In this way, if something should happen to you and you are unable to make health care decisions for yourself you appoint a proxy who will make decisions for you. Checking organ donor on your license is a first step to becoming an organ donor upon brain death. In addition, make sure you have this conversation with your family so that they know what your wishes are in the event of brain death. you can contact your transplant center and speak with a social worker about setting this up. Before my surgery, I had prepared a living will and health care proxy (my husband). We spoke about our wishes in the event of brain death. You can also speak to your family physician or lawyer to help set this up. These are legal documents and can be changed at any time.

Hope things keep going in the right direction for you. As you say, time does heal or at least the loss becomes more tolerable.

All the best,

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional