| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Surgery Today!  (Read 7646 times)

Offline Johnny_t

• Top 200 Poster!
Surgery Today!
« on: April 03, 2012, 12:48:44 PM »
Hello everyone,

I am both super nervous and very excited.  My girlfriend and I are going into surgery today at UCLA Medical Center.  Her kidney is on plane now coming from Texas, and my kidney will be shipped to Ohio.  Wow, this is so amazing!  I can't wait to see how things will be tomorrow once the surgeries are done.  I can't imagine not feeling 100% because I am in good shape and very active.  I'm hoping that I will be able to help my gf out when she gets out.

Offline alyfaye

• Top 50 poster!
Re: Surgery Today!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 01:42:34 PM »
Good luck! Let us know how it goes. I am one week post op today and feeling like myself again. I can't do much but I've been able to have someone take me to see my recipient almost every day since I was released. It is quite a shock to the body but I haven't encountered any pain or hurdle that has been unbearable. You will be back on your feet in no time! One thing that a couple of members on this board have reminded me of is that we are patients too. Don't forget to take care of yourself as well!

I'm praying for a smooth recovery for both of you!
Alyssa

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 02:49:21 PM »
Hi Alyssa,

Good to read your post. Sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you in person to welcome you to the club. You are right, surgery is a shock to the system and everyone reacts differently. So glad you were able to plan to be near the hospital. It certainly makes things easier.

Johnny Thunder,

Good luck to you and your recipient. Just remember you will both be having surgery so you are both real patients. Take it slow and happy healing.

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 04:26:53 PM »
Good luck, Johnny!

I donated directly to my boyfriend 2 months ago. I was out in 24 hours, he stayed in for 5 days (he had a double nephrectomy as well as transplant as his kidneys were huge). My parents took care of me for the 5 days he was in and when he got out we went to my place on our own. Neither of us could drive so my parents helped with that, but otherwise, I was fine to help him out. Other than being a bit sore and stiff, I felt OK.

I could have gone back to work the third week, but I took another week off to help him because he still couldn't drive. By then I felt great!

If your recovery goes well, you should be able to help her out. Best wishes to both of you. You will love watching her get her life back because of you. :)

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 06:40:09 PM »
Congratulations Johnny!

It really is amazing isn't it?!  It is great that you are in such good shape, but as others have said, you are also a patient too. Make sure you don't overdo it.

I am wishing you and your girlfriend all the best. Please let us know how you are both doing when you are able to.

Wishing you all the best! :)

Linda
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

Offline Johnny_t

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 02:12:22 AM »
the surgeries are both finished besides abdominal pain I'm doing good. My girlfriends kedney is actually working!!! Thank you for all your support in this website, I found it very helpful.

Offline MissFrizz

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 07:24:41 AM »
Congratulations!!!
Stephanie

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." - John Wayne

Offline cupid

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 01:38:03 PM »
That's awesome! Congratulations to both of you!

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 05:35:16 PM »
Fantastic news Johnny - Congratulations!

Thank you so much for keeping us updated! :)

Linda
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

Offline Johnny_t

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 10:10:06 PM »
I can't believe how great I feel.  It's unbelievable that I have only one kidney today, and just yesterday I had two!  It was always so amazing to read other people's posts after they had gone into surgery, now I can totally relate.  My girlfriend is still doing very well.  Her creatanine has dropped from 14 to 2 in less than 24 hrs!  Those who have not encountered renal failure do not realize how precious it is to have a functioning kidney, and to be able to urinate.  I must say I had no idea how precious kidney function was until seeing my girlfriend go through ESRD.

I am so glad I donated and it feels wonderful to know that I have not only helped my girlfriend, but I have also helped someone in Ohio (our chain recipient).

Thank you to those who have inspired me on this website.  Although I have not been very active on this site, I really looked at other people's posts for strength.  Often times, I felt that fear was so overwhelming, but I also knew that fear was no excuse.  I knew what I needed to do, and I feel so relieved that everything is working out so well.

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 12:03:25 AM »
     Cobgratulations to you both!
         Fr. Pat

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 12:37:22 PM »
I can't believe how great I feel.  It's unbelievable that I have only one kidney today, and just yesterday I had two!  It was always so amazing to read other people's posts after they had gone into surgery, now I can totally relate.  My girlfriend is still doing very well.  Her creatanine has dropped from 14 to 2 in less than 24 hrs!  Those who have not encountered renal failure do not realize how precious it is to have a functioning kidney, and to be able to urinate.  I must say I had no idea how precious kidney function was until seeing my girlfriend go through ESRD.

I am so glad I donated and it feels wonderful to know that I have not only helped my girlfriend, but I have also helped someone in Ohio (our chain recipient).

Thank you to those who have inspired me on this website.  Although I have not been very active on this site, I really looked at other people's posts for strength.  Often times, I felt that fear was so overwhelming, but I also knew that fear was no excuse.  I knew what I needed to do, and I feel so relieved that everything is working out so well.

I felt the same way. When it came down to it, the only reason I had NOT to do it was fear, and to me, that's not a good reason.

Two months later, I feel great and so does he. It really is amazing what a huge difference a good kidney makes!

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved