| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Surgery date postponed. :(  (Read 4435 times)

Offline busymom9501

• Top 100 Poster!
Surgery date postponed. :(
« on: May 30, 2012, 08:55:10 PM »
So, we were 13 days awa from transplant!  I get a call from my coordinator saying that their institute is being temporarily suspended while they investigate a few recent recipient deaths. I'm so bummed for my recipient!!  Although I'm glad they're doing some investigating it still stinks. We were so close. So now we have to wait until August.

Here is my question.  My recipient is not on dialysis but is very close to being on it. Is she has to go on before now and August could that affect our crossmatch results or is that usually only with transfusions??

I know that God has a plan and that His timing is better than mine so I just trust He is protecting either myself or my recipient and hope August brings better news!

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Surgery date postponed. :(
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 07:42:02 AM »
Dear mom,

That must have been unpleasant news.  It sounds like you are reacting in the best possible way. 

I'm no doctor, but I don't see why dialysis would impact your recipients compatability.  There's a final cross-match test shortly before transplantation.

love, elephant

Offline peterduvall

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 11:14:32 PM »
Dear Mom

I know how you feel, after many months of testing, my Dad (an insulin dependent diabetic w/ failing kidneys) & I were in pre-op moments away from surgery when his anesthesiologist cancelled it - due to his lung capacity/ potential for waking up from general anesthesia.

We were devastated, even my cousin, a Dr. thought it was the end of the road for my Dad.

His Dr., amazing Dr, Ben Samstein @ Columbia Presbyterian in NY told me...dont worry, we will find a way to make your Dad better. I thought he was just trying to give me false hope telling me what I wanted to hear at the time. But..........he & my Dr., Lloyd Ratner (equally amazing), rescheduled, and they did the transplant giving my father an epidural, not general anesthesia.......crazy as it sounds, but it went well. In Post op my mother said, you (me) look like hell but your father looks great.

So......no matter how difficult the road ahead may seem, you never know what may happen .

Good luck

Peter

Offline lawphi

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 08:37:15 PM »
Switch centers.

Dialysis will not effect a crossmatch, but delaying dialysis will play a role in how your friend recovers.   Also, there are centers that successfully treat positive crossmatches. 
Bridge Paired Exchange donor on behalf of my husband (re-transplant) at Johns Hopkins.

Offline jstx

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 09:16:33 PM »
How disappointing.  I know how you must feel this close to surgery but you are right-God's timing is perfect and perhaps this has happened to protect you and your recipient.  I agree with Lawphi.....I think I'd look into switching centers.  I'd at least check into some other centers in the area to see if they have good statistics regarding successful surgeries and safety of donors and recipients.  None will be perfect but you definitely want to put yourself in the best possible hands.  Praying all works out in the best interest for you and your recipient.
Donated left kidney on 6/6/11 to a recipient I found on LDO
Johns Hopkins Hospital
Baltimore, MD

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional