| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: students loans  (Read 3405 times)

Offline Cynthia

• Conversationalist
students loans
« on: September 19, 2012, 10:51:25 AM »
Hi all,

I don't come here much anymore.

I am a non-directed kidney donor (1/07) who subsequently met the recipient of my kidney.

Here's my question. Since I donated my job ended due to the end of its grant funding (nothing to do with my donation). At that point because I could not find another job starting in 1/08, I decided to return to graduate school. I never intended to take out student loans, but our family income was not sufficient to support our family, so I did  borrow federal student direct loans.

I didn't want to do this, but I also wanted to finish school. Long story short, I graduated in June with my Ph.D. for which I am truly grateful. Now I am again in the position of seeking full-time employment and haven't yet been successful.

None of this really concerns my donation, I just thought I'd check with this community to see if you know of any help with student loans for donors?

I have read of some in the donor community advocating for health insurance for donors, but never for help with loans.

I realize this is a stretch, and I feel like I'm asking for money. In fact, I am asking for money, but not from individuals. Does anyone know of a foundation that might be able to help me?

Thank you and best to you all,

Cynthia

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: students loans
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 07:32:49 PM »
Dear Cynthia,
      The only place that I have heard of that had some kind of scholarship aid regarding recipients/donors  is the "Transplant Recipients International Organization" - "T.R.I.O."-  (www.TRIOWEB.org). But I don't know the details, and I know that only a small amount was available. But it might be worth looking into.
   best wishes,
      Fr. Pat

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved