| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Billed by error. Now in collections. HELP!!!  (Read 3300 times)

Offline That guy

• Top 200 Poster!
Billed by error. Now in collections. HELP!!!
« on: October 12, 2012, 08:29:04 PM »
Backstory:

12/12/11 - I became a non directed donor.  Surgery went well, recovery was normal;  it was about as uneventful as could be.

6/??/12 (can't remember the exact date) - I go back for my 6 month checkup.  Everything is going great; I'm pretty much back to normal.

Well, the billing department apparently went through a major staff change around the time of my 6 month checkup.  I got a bill for this checkup.  I was kind of half expecting one.  I was constantly getting them during the evaluation process.  I was told that I was going to get bills in error, and to just send them back in to the financial counselor in the Urology department.  So I'd send in any bills I got, and she would take care of them. 

So back to the 6th month checkup.  I get a bill.  I had some time, so I took it in to the Clinic in person.  I met with the financial counselor, and she said she would set it straight.  She always did.  She also said that she was moving departments, and Urology would get a new financial counselor (FC for short).  Well, a month later (August), I get the same bill again.  So I emailed a copy to the new FC, along with one of the transplant coordinators.  September rolls around, and so does the same bill.  So I email a copy to the FC and the same transplant coordinator.  October arrives, and BAM!!  I get a letter from a bill recovery agency, informing me that the bill has been sent to collections. 

TL:DR version - I donated a kidney.  I got bill from my 6 month checkup.  Hospital says it will take care of the bill.  Didn't take care of the bill.  Now the bill is in collections.

What do I do now?

Offline Michael

• Founder of LDO
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online
Re: Billed by error. Now in collections. HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 08:50:49 AM »
Is the transplant coordinator still in his/her same job? I would start with that person and ask for help. Some hospitals have an ombudsman--that would be another person to contact.

If things just don't work out, you can contact us through the LDO Contact Us page (there's a link toward the top of this page). Give us your contact information (don't post it in the message board, which is searchable) and we'll help you.
Michael
Living Donors Online
Our mission: to improve the living donation experience

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional