| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Believe them when they say you will be in pain.  (Read 9905 times)

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Believe them when they say you will be in pain.
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2013, 03:46:27 PM »
It's interesting because the one other donor I spoke to prior to the surgery was in the hospital for 4 days, stayed out of work for 6 weeks and was just starting to feel almost normal at 2 months.  That worried me, as I was self-employed and needed to be back to work with 3 weeks if possible.

I was told to expect to be in the hospital 2-4 days and take a month off from work. Immediately after my surgery people started commenting that I looked better than they would expect. I've been told all along that my quick recovery was unusual. My recipient went back to work in 3 weeks, too. His doctors urged him to stay out a full 6 weeks, but he felt so good and the disability pay was so miniscule, he opted to go back.

I just don't think anyone can really know how they will be affected, which is why I think you shouldn't expect to be in pain, but plan that you might.

Offline Mizchelle

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2013, 03:15:28 PM »
Thank you for posting this hear.  Although, one may not want to hear or know this, I was prepared for it and didn't think it was odd to be in mild pain almost two weeks later.  Its been 4 weeks now and all pain is gone - was certainly worth the temporary pain.  ;)

Offline Oldnslow

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2013, 11:57:17 PM »
It's been over 4 years now.   I don't remember much from the first day except waking up to my family, thinking morphine was my friend, worrying about the catheter extraction (valid, very valid), and hobbling over to see my brother.   I was walking the next day.   Was not until day four that I left the hospital.   Wish I would have kept a diary for the first year as it is somewhat foggy.   Every experience seems to be different with some things quite common:   Gas, stitch pain, some let down after you give up the organ, and fatigue.   It is major surgery so if you recover quickly, thank your lucky stars.  If it takes longer and you are healthy, again, be thankful -it is not like there is a competition.   Not every one has a wonderful experience.   Procedures have improved but it is not like we are all 64 Chevy impalas with Chilton manuals.   Ok, close, but the variations are probably wider.
Oldnslow

"Donated kidney to my brother on Dec 8, 2008"

Offline Mizchelle

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2013, 09:28:10 AM »
I was in pain and not running laps around the hospital in 2 days, which seems to be the reported norm.

Every "body" does heal differently.  I do remember downplaying my pain/discomfort quite a bit, basically because.. how dare you complain about your pins and needles when a life was just saved.  Everyone is looking at you during this time as if you're a hero and Hero’s don’t whine right?

Regardless of the latter, if you're in ANY discomfort - Speak up, Say Something, Share it with the World, so that it can be addressed, watched and taken care of. The pain will sooner or later pass, and no one will remember that part of your journey anyway!

Offline Karol

• Advocate for patients and organ donors
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Jenna after a day at Disneyland
    • Kidney For Jenna
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2013, 09:57:11 PM »

... as if you're a hero and Hero’s don’t whine right?

hahaha  :)
Daughter Jenna is 31 years old and was on dialysis.
7/17 She received a kidney from a living donor.
Please email us: kidney4jenna@gmail.com
Facebook for Jenna: https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
~ We are forever grateful to her 1st donor Patrice, who gave her 7 years of health and freedom

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved