| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Is there anybody out there with adrenal and or hormone issues?  (Read 17973 times)

Offline sloaner1982

• Top 100 Poster!
Re: Is there anybody out there with adrenal and or hormone issues?
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2013, 07:08:40 PM »
I saw the above posted in a living donor group. So I copied and pasted it here. This may provide more info about this potential complication.

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2013, 07:25:48 PM »
SWB,

I am bumping this thread up in case you haven't seen it. There are apparently other donors who have had adrenal gland issues. I also asked before surgery what they do with the adrenal and of course the surgeons all say, they don't touch the blood supply to the adrenal. but sometimes you don't know how things are connected and what gets compromised until you are in the OR. Some male donors have had complications with testicular swelling because of the gonadal veins. It seems to me that there is very little information given to donors about possible adrenal complications and testicular complications as well. Only a continual living donor registry would allow for accurate research. If donation centers don't follow patients they will never know nor will the insurance companies covering these surgeries.

Let us know what you find out. Funny enough for the first time, my thyroid gland is not functioning normally. I have a high TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) which means I am hypothyroid. This is common with women as they age but I will discuss it with a nephrologist when I get a chance. My PCP offered to put me on synthroid. I am not symptomatic and decided to repeat in 6 months to see what happens. I am just at the subclinical level.

Keep us posted.

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline SWB

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2013, 07:42:11 PM »
Thanks Sherri.  Will read through carefully and let you know what the MD says.
Scott
Donated right kidney to uncle
October 18, 2012 at University of Alabama (UAB)

Offline SWB

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2013, 07:53:23 PM »
Interesting.  Mine was the right kidney that was donated.  So the research serms to imply that as long as there were no surgical complications I shouldn't be having adrenal gland problems.  It could be unrelated.  Sometimes I think it is too easy to link our sicknesses to the donation but I think it is also because we try to keep ourselves informed.  Going to check with MD as I noted and will share what we find out.  Until then I am praying fir some warm weather!
Scott

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2013, 08:03:14 PM »
you would need to get your surgical report to actually find out what transpired during your surgery. So make sure to get a copy of your records and bring to your doctor.

But I agree with you, when something seems out of whack I always think kidney when most likely it is not related. But always nice to be sure.

Sherri

Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline lawphi

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2013, 05:59:34 PM »
I have tried to find the link to post, but I stumbled on a surgical study that suggested only 15% of the 200 cadavers had an adrenal vein that emptied into the renal vein. 

This could explain why some donors have issues and some don't. 
Bridge Paired Exchange donor on behalf of my husband (re-transplant) at Johns Hopkins.

Offline SWB

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2013, 10:33:46 PM »
Well so far I have found out that my md ran the thyroid tests already without me having to ask  and they were fine based on some earlier post-transplant labs.  I went in to get the latest lab results and they were not ready for some reason due to a lab issue.  But, MD has ordered additional tests and I requested all records from the donation surgery to be sent over (thanks to Sherri's suggestion).  Hoping it may end up being just anesthesia related and temporary.  Just more curious than anything else and continuing to investigate.  But in the end it may be non-related.  I am healthy enough I just finished my second full marathon two weeks apart so being cold is more annoying than anything else.
Scott

Offline sloaner1982

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2013, 12:44:11 AM »
I got a copy of the Ct scan that was done after they took out my left kidney. Here are the results:

Impression: Interval development of a 3.7 cm left adrenal mass. In addition, there is interval left nephrectomy with indeterminate nodular density in the left renal fossa. All these findings may be related to the surgery. Clinical correlation is advised.

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional