| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Any guitar players on this forum how have donated thier kidney?  (Read 10852 times)

Offline GuitarGirl4Gsus

• Top 100 Poster!
I'm an avid guitar player. I play on my church worship team and in a Christian rock band called Covenant. I'm scheduled to donate a kidney to a friend , whos also a member of my church fam. Scheduled for April 11th. My concern, which certainly doesn't waiver my desire by no means, is my projected down time. I also run a daycare 65 hrs a week and already have help for that. My concern is how soon can I play again. I know on a chair ,cuz my Les Paul is over teh weight limit. Our church has two services on Sunday mornings, services on Wed., Covenant is scheduled about two weeks after and then teh very next week booked in Ohio. I live in Va. I help teach guitar at our lead guitarists house on Mondays, church worship team practice on Tuesdays, and Covenant practice on Thursdays. My surgery is on a Thursday. My desire is to be playing teh following Wed church service and be back in rank for my usual schedule. I know from being on this forum about a mo th now, that my goals could be rather unrealistic. I'm just hoping there is guitar player, or bassist, or drumme even who could share thier testimony . ( I'm dyselxic if  you should wonder about my wack spelling. I think spell corection fixed most, I hope :)

Offline dodger

• Top 25 Poster!
Re: Any guitar players on this forum how have donated thier kidney?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 12:52:59 PM »
I am not a musician and I know you are looking for that reply. 

What you need to take into consideration is you may feel great after surgery, but what if you don't.  I had a hard time with the sedation and CO2 gas.  I didn't feel good for at least 2 weeks and that was pretty much not doing much.  It took a month before I felt somewhat normal and wasn't exhausted just grocery shopping let alone carry the bags into the house. 

If you don't have a back up plan for your performance schedule you will be doing a disservice to yourself and your church. 

I truly hope you feel great, that you are up walking the halls 5 times the day after surgery and go home the next day, but sadly, very few do.  I really would like for you to consider a backup plan.  You might be able to do one service a day, maybe.  Don't try to be Wonder Woman, you need to heal and rest after what is major surgery. 

The centers sometimes paint a very rosey picture, but how many of them have gone through it.  This surgery is major, they blow up your abdomain with CO2 gas, sedate you for 3-5 hours,  cut, their way through all your connective tissue to get to your kidney, cut all the connective tissue off from around that, they nicked my spleen but at least my surgeon did tell me after the surgery, then force your body to now function on one kidney, close, put a binder on you , which wear as long as you can by the way,  put you on a pain pump, which will be your friend at least for the first day.  You will have all kinds of drugs and CO2 that your body and now one kidney has to filter out besides your normal waste by products, you will need to drink and eat even if you have to force yourself, if you can, I couldn't.  They can't give you a lot for the nausea, as most interfer with urine production which they need to moniter at first of course.  They want you up and walking as soon as possible, if you can, I had a very hard time the first day after surgery, almost passed out a couple of feet out my room, back to bed for me.  You don't get much real sleep in the hospital, they take vitals are every shift change, last one for me was at 11 p.m. just got to sleep, again, labs at 4 a.m. shift change at 6 a.m., then breakfast or rounds, then daytime stuff, shower, nap, walk, if you can.  I did not get any rest. Sleeping at home is no picnic either, I suggest a nest of pillows to sleep part way propped up with a pillow under your knees, or sleeping in a recliner.  Your back might hurt, from the gas and position you are in during surgery.  For at least 1 month, I couldn't stand for very long, I got a tired back and had to sit.  You have  a lot of healing internally to do. 

So you see, it isn't all rosey, it might be, but what if it isn't.  Besides, you have family responsibliities  that I am sure you will want to try to take care of as soon as you are able.  You will need your sit down and nap time right from the get go. 

Hope this helps with what ever decision you make.  Just have a backup plan.  Best wishes.  Janice
Donated 3/10/11 to my niece at UW Madison, Wi

Offline Oldnslow

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 06:33:26 PM »
GuitarGirl - I play guitar, banjo, and harmonica.   Unfortunately I am not any better now than before I donated a kidney!  LOL.    My Hummingbird didn't go over the weight limit.   My banjo with resonator did.   I now have a banjo without a resonator which is really light.

I think you old view this as an opportunity (to excuse) to buy a new transplant compliant guitar :)'.
As another Gibson enthusiast I would recommend either a 67 LG0 acoustic (3/4 - nice),or an ES 350 ( electric acoustic).   

You should be able to play the lightweight git fiddle before the morphine drip is taken away.   

When is the surgery?

Cheers
Oldnslow
Oldnslow

"Donated kidney to my brother on Dec 8, 2008"

Offline GuitarGirl4Gsus

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 10:31:57 AM »
Hi Dodger....Thanks for teh reply ya know how a kid will ask for teh same thing over and over hoping for teh answer they want? Well, your reply was very similar to other responses to previous posts. I also got accepted into a mentor ship program at church where ya can't miss teh classes. I had even delussioned myself into thinking I could have my surgery apr. 11 on a Thursday and still make it to church on Sunday, no playing guitar of course. I think your statement of "you don't have to be Wonder Woman" caught me by surprise. I was like, "really? I don't?". I have a back up for my daycare. I have my 19yrs old son who also plays guitar on our church worship team who will pick up my slack. There isn't a replacement for teh band Im in. It's our own music and what I do isn't something I can teach even my son on any quick time anyway. Ohio trip is very important. Which is two weeks afterwards. About 8hrs from my home. I'm praying I can atleast keep up with my band events even if I feel less than good. I will read your post again, it was very informative.

Old n slow, I did get a new guitar two weeks ago. An Ovation that's absolutely beautiful. Teh band Im in is recording our third CD and there's an acoustic song in it. I was going to have to use a friends guitar, but now I have my own. I've also been Sharing it with my son who plays acoustic on our church worship team. Teh cool thing about my new guitar is that I named it Trinity. That teh name of my recipients daughter. Seh comes to my daycare after school and is a beautiful 12yr old. Her red auburn curly hair looked just like teh quilted top of my new Ovation. I thought it would be teh perfect name for a guitar used for worship as well as mark this time in my life. I'm blessed to be her dads match. Seh is an only child and is totally a daddy's girl. Her parents are just awesome. Although Im concerned about covering all teh bases of my busy schedule, I can't even imagine what it's like for him. He has no kidneys in his body sinse jan 11. Even dyalisis isn't able to draw all teh fluid off. His friends at his job and teh rescu squad he's severed at sinse a teen all miss him as well. I can't imagine being taken out of all I love to do like he has been. I'm excited to be used to put him back in action where he belongs :)

Offline Oldnslow

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 10:49:08 PM »
GuitarGirl - always liked Ovations.  Play nice and a beautiful sound.   Good pick.   

I found that it took a while to just get the anesthesia totally out of my system.   I.e. sleepy time a lot.   You're sore you.    So this time in your life it is time to pamper yourself and let others pamper you as well.  You'll be an inspiration.   But you can also be an example ... A time for everything.    Think of the sermon on the mount, afterwards Jesus went off for some private time and rest.   Just saying....it is ok to slow down for a while.  Write a song and learn some new ones.

New guitar...sounds nice

Oldnslow
Oldnslow

Offline GuitarGirl4Gsus

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 11:39:19 PM »
Cool profile pic :) cool banjo! my guitar I always play is a 1998 Les Paul double cutaway, studio. Seh is Saphire blue and was named Blue Belle by one of my best friends who sold it to my husband. I call her Bella for short. My stage back up is a Epiphone Camellian. Seh changes colors from green to silver and purplish. Her name is Zoey. Oh, sorry, squirrel. I'm suppose to be talkin about kidney stuff :)

I agree with what you are saying. It's probably going to be teh hardest part of all this. I'm a very hyper active person and can't even sit still long enough to watch a movie. They actually call me Tigger at church. Going to be hard to switch over to Eore mode. Atleast Im not like my recipient who has to be quarantined for a couple of months. I'd really go nuts. He's a go person also and has really had a hard time sleeping in recliners and being at home all teh time. He can drive now though. (I'm dyslexic, I hope it's not to hard to read) spell correction seems to be fixing it.

Offline Oldnslow

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 12:28:42 AM »
I like the guitar that changes color..cool.  Pretty fancy.    I'm thinking I need to play more.   Work too much!

I play a few different styles.   Mostly a back porch player.  Have played in churches, a few bars, parks in dc, weddings when I was young.    Now es just picking for fun.

When do you donate?
Oldnslow

Offline GuitarGirl4Gsus

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 10:12:04 AM »
I donate April 11th :)

Offline Oldnslow

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 01:55:52 PM »
Do you have one of those practice guitars or backpackers to take to the hospital?    Staff and patients would enjoy the cheer.   

Do you have to travel far for the surgery?

Oldnslow

Offline GuitarGirl4Gsus

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 12:17:08 AM »
No, I dont have a practice guitar. I thought about finding someone who has a small keyboard with a headphone jack so I can atleast play something. I love to worship :) my surgery is at UVA :) so cool you were able to donate to your brother.

Offline Oldnslow

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 12:44:00 AM »
The headphones and keyboard with earphones is probably a very good idea for the hospital.   My recall is that I ran out of energy quite quickly.   Surgery was a new thing to me and it does knock you for a loop.   

Our family has genetic PKD disease .   My brother was hit with it, I wasn't.  I was fortunate to have been blessed with very good health.   When we were tested, they said we could not have been closer matches if we were identical twins.   I feel fortunate that it worked.  He's my golf partner in the summer.    We've grown quite close over the last ten to fifteen years.   Moved quite a bit with my career prior to that (USAF ).   it is quite amazing what medicine can do and at the same time amazing what they cannot.

Do you play/sing any Alison Kraus/Cox family?

Oldnslow
Oldnslow

Offline GuitarGirl4Gsus

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 08:08:48 AM »
What an awesome storey....Im all Cristian rock. I have alot of favorite Christian artists. I love to worship sooo much that I don't really get into secular music. Our sound man is a Alison Krous finatic. Although there lots of secular artists with good messages in thier songs, Im all about Jesus. I was designed to sing and Jam for him. I can worship alone for hours and hours and just get to place where there isn't even awareness of time. Then all of a sudden 6 hours have passed. It's amazing. I can't go anywhere like that in a secular song. What's so cool. Teh Lord healed me of sever asthma oct.2,2011. I'm pretty sure if I was still an asthmatic they wouldn't have cleared me to be my friends donor. God is sooooo good. :)

Offline Oldnslow

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 08:42:07 PM »
I learned to play 5-string banjo in church so I understand what you're saying.   Secular music - I'm a big fan of that as well.  I once demonstrated to a friend how you coul quickly take a secular beat and tune and wrp your message and words into it.

I really like songs that are acopello as well.   Beat sound.  Dotty Rambo ...good music.

How are they ever going to keep you down in the hospital?  I can feel your energy through the posts!
Oldnslow

Offline GuitarGirl4Gsus

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 08:57:09 AM »
Lol :) that's pretty much teh only thing Im worried about :) I don't know how to be down or still. That's why I work with kids, they are full of energy. Guess I'll take my new guitar. My receipiants wife said seh will come and wheel me all around teh hospital should I desperately need out of my room. My softball coach called telling me our practices start apr. 15th. I had to inform him that Im giving my kidney apr 11. I have no idea how long it will be. I hope I can make teh end of teh season atleast. I'm a slide into home take out teh catcher kind of girl. So I don't know. I do know all my petty little worries are nothing compaired to what my receipiant has endured all these years. Now having been out of work for so many months. Although I'll be fit to be tied, it's worth it. Maybe I will somehow learn to be still during all this :) I'm in teh studio this Saturday. Our band is trying to get my parts don't before surgery. I'm not sure if vocals will be done. Might be alittle hard to push teh notes out. I don't mind for live, but for teh CD. I really hope we get me done before. We have a web site . So e of our old music is on it. www.covenantband.net 

Offline GuitarGirl4Gsus

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 10:36:24 AM »
I just checked our website, it's old. We mainly use our FB. When we play out we meet more cool friends. It's so much fun. Hope your day is awesome too. Thanks for your encouraging words and sharing your storey :)

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional