| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Vitamins & kidney donors  (Read 19000 times)

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Vitamins & kidney donors
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2013, 05:09:10 PM »
Just an interesting item of note - I was recently at my dermatologist for annual skin review. We were talking about the sun, sunscreen and vitamin D. She commented that in Australia they are very, very conscious of the effects of the sun and rabid sunscreen users. As a result, they have begun to see cases of rickets reappearing as a result of vitamin D deficiencies!  Just thought it was an interesting tidbit in light of the discussion.
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline kdub

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2013, 11:28:51 AM »
See the following study:

http://127.0.0.1:2976/Kasiske%202013.pdf

Basically says: on average, kidney donors have
high PHT, low vitamin D, low phosphate, low hemoglobin, etc.

_kdub

Offline W303

• Top 200 Poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2013, 12:07:29 PM »
This is excellent information, everyone, and likely explains some of the fatigue issues I have been experiencing. While I did add in B vitamins, I did not add D.

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Non-directed donation, Oct., 2011
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2013, 01:27:05 AM »
As I think I posted on another thread, I was also interested in Vitamins D and B12.  Even before donation, I was already very low on D, but afterwards, routine blood work at my family doc showed I was also quite low on B12. Oddly, the doc never mentioned that the B12 had any link to donation (though I don't think he's taken care of too many donors). Anyway, I now take a daily B12 pill, and 25 drops of D in a glass of water once a week.  I can't say I feel any different (fortunately, I had not had any fatigue or other special symptoms), but if it makes my body happy, fine with me.
   Be well, Snoopy

Offline dodger

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2013, 07:04:32 PM »
I had a sub PCP about a year ago who was concerned I may be taking too much Vit D as I take calcium with D and 1000mgD  every day.  After the test results came back it was mound to be with in normal, so, guess I was doing the right thing all along.  My sister is a RN and she feels everyone in the northern half of the US should take Vit D especially in the winter.

My labs are really good at 2 1/2 years.  So, I'll just keep doing what I am for now.  I don't take any B but the neph reccommended 60 mg of iron is the hemoglobin is always a bit low even before donation.
Donated 3/10/11 to my niece at UW Madison, Wi

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2013, 10:42:33 PM »
Just had dinner with my recipient. She's seeing her endocrinologist Thursday and will ask about the issues raised in this thread. If there are clear answers, I'll let y'all know.
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved