| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: New here just wanted to say hi from the UK.  (Read 16277 times)

Terryw

New here just wanted to say hi from the UK.
« on: May 18, 2011, 11:07:48 AM »
Hi all,

I have just started the process for my brother who got full renal failure just before Christmas, We both went for the first round of test on Monday and now have to wait for 2-3 weeks for the matching results.

Just wanted to say hi and will post as I go.

Have been reading some of the posts on here and its a big help along with the UK forum for Living Donors.

Terry. ;D

Offline smudge

• Top 50 poster!
Re: New here just wanted to say hi from the UK.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 07:02:26 PM »
Hi Terry

Think you're the guy I said hi to on the UK kidney forum so won't repeat it but just say hi again.

Remember that creatinine is measured completely differently in the US so the figures won't make sense to you until you sort the conversion.  And I think eGFR is measured differently too.

Also remember that care in the UK thanks to the NHS is very different and we don't need to worry about insurance etc.

All the best to you and your brother - there is a wealth of information here.

:)

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
  • You may never know the burdens others carry
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 09:13:46 PM »
Good luck Terry - we'll send positive wishes and prayers your way that all works out favorably for you both. Please keep us posted on your progress.

Peace

Scott
Scott

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 11:02:25 PM »
Hi Terry and Welcome!

I am so glad you found this board! I am wishing you the best of luck with your first round of tests. Please let us know how it turns out. 

Best of luck! :)

Linda
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

Terryw

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 02:24:18 PM »
Thanks all and yes I will keep you posted along the way I'm sure I will have lots of thing to ask and read up on.

And Thanks smudge I did notice that and was going to ask but your have just answered lol.

Also found the LDO Facebook Page.

Terry  ::)

Terryw

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 11:28:29 AM »
Hi All,

Well after over 3 weeks I got the call today from my Living Donor Coordinator and I am a compatible match for my brother!!!!!!!!!!! Very pleased and has come at the right time after a few months of bad news!!!!,

The next lot of tests are being booked up and hopefully Sept/October the op will go ahead in Leeds!!!.

Terry. ;D ::) :P :-* :D ;) :) ;D

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 11:42:14 AM »
Great news indeed Terry - it's always difficult to wait, but hopefully all will fall into place and you'll get the green-light to move forward.  Your brother is lucky to have such a loving and selfless person in his life.  Good luck and keep us updated.

Scott   8)
Scott

Terryw

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 12:33:06 PM »
Thanks Scott and we are 3 brothers who would do it for each other without being asked but cant wait to get the green light so he dont have to start dialysis, He is at 14% and hopefully it will hold out until then!!!

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 04:48:36 PM »
We'll pray he's able to hold on for your gift Terry!

Scott   8)
Scott

Offline PhilHoover

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 04:14:05 AM »
Praying here in Chicago....and blessings on the "motherland."
Donated to a former college professor, October 28, 2009. Would do it again in a nanosecond.

Terryw

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 08:04:30 AM »
Thanks Phil  ;D

And just phone my LDC and she has arranged for the GFR,DMSA and also the Kidney mapping for the transplant team in Leeds UK to be carried out at the Kings College Hospital in London, Just got to wait for a guy called Magnus the LDC there to call me with a date/s for them.!!! a few more ticked of the test list !!! ;D

Terryw

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 03:25:01 PM »
At long last the LDC at KCH phoned after I phoned my LDC n Hull and now just waiting for the date to go for the CT scans!!! Hate waiting but guess its all part of it!!.

How did you all find the Human Tissue Authority (UK) ??

Offline smudge

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 06:16:24 PM »
Hi Terry

The HTA assessment was a bit of a let down.  It was a chat (individually and then together) with a different doctor from the hospital who'd obviously had some specific training from the HTA.  The whole thing took about 30mins in total.

We had to bring our passports (or other photo ID) and evidence that we were friends.  It will be much easier for you with your brother as you probably have photos together from your childhood and early years as well as birth certificates that show you have the same parents (I'm assuming you do anyway).  We had letters from people who had known us both, since before we knew one another who confirmed we had a genuine 'relationship'.

most of the questions we'd already been asked before - that we knew and understood the risks, that I hadn't been coerced or was receiving payment for my kidney etc.  At the end she said she was happy with us and it then took a couple of weeks to get that in writing to our consultant.

The CT scan is interesting as that's how they decide which kidney to take based on the make up of your blood vessals.  It's all very interesting but if you have a contrast scan the dye makes you feel like you have peed yourself.  You haven't but it's a very strange sensation!

good luck

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, 07:26:00 PM »
Dear Smudge,
      The CT scan not only helps them decide which kidney to take, but also shows whether ot not you actually HAVE 2 kidneys. Some people are born with only one kidney, but never notice unless they have a scan or X-ray done for some reason.
      Fr. Pat

Terryw

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 09:01:02 AM »
Hi all,

lol Yes I have had a CT scan before and the dye and yes made me feel I had peed myself !!!

Well got the letter today and have the next and hopefully last tests next Thursday 28th in London and should know if all is ok the week after and my LDC has said that will just leave the Interview with the HTA and meet the surgical team in Leeds to set a date so could be 6-8 weeks away!! :o

So Fingers crossed all  ;) ;D :P :-*

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved