| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Medicines After Donation?  (Read 13825 times)

trixieindixie

Medicines After Donation?
« on: February 15, 2011, 10:56:31 AM »
Hi -- I donated 4 a kidney to a family friend 4 months ago today.  All has been going great for both of us.  I was one of the lucky ones who was back at work in 2 weeks, little to no pain, healed easily, etc.

I also have a pretty high pain tolerance and have not taken anything since about 24 hours after surgery (the pain meds made me sick) -- not so much as an aspirin.

Today however I feel that I'm coming down with the flu and find myself reluctant to take any medication -- not sure why I'm so worried but I don't feel that I have a good handle on what's safe to take, how much, etc.

Has anyone else found themselves hesitant to take needed medication because of the donation? 

Thx for all the great messages, information and support you guys provide!

michelf

Re: Medicines After Donation?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 12:31:47 PM »
I used to take Advil cold for flu; now I'm told to refrain from Advil since it contains blood thiner. I had the same situation and only took vitamin B. it took 5 days to get rid of the cold. (usually w/ Advil it took 3 days)

Offline ohtobeahayes

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 02:38:24 PM »
I am not a doctor, only another donor....and I avoid ibuprofrin, but if needed take acetiminphin.  I butchered the spelling on those, sorry.  I got my butt handed to me by the 5 week cold thing, and when I just couldn't hack it, took a little.  And it helped. 

In times like these, I remember our friends who only have ever had one kidney and have never known it and they are doing okay.  It's okay to not take anything, and it's okay to take a little of something when needed, in my moderation rules theory. 

But- NOT a doctor!  :)

Take care! Congrats on your donation!

Nicki
Be the change!
Nicki

Offline smudge

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 02:48:10 PM »
I was given to understand that anti-inflammatories (asprin, ibuprofen etc) were to be completely avoided but anything else over the counter -  paracetamol (think that's what Americans call acepheto-something or other), flu/cold remedies, anti histamines, decongestants etc were OK.

But that's in the UK - not sure what the OTC differences are.

Certainly 18 months post donation I've had a couple nasty cold bugs and I've been fine with paracetamol and decongestants (I get sinus problems thanks to the UK's damp weather).

Perhaps your pharmacist can advise if your PCP can't?

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 04:12:37 PM »
I was told to stick with tylenol and avoid nsaids or ibuprofin if possible. That being said, I have, on occasion used them for a few doses when I needed an anti-inflammatory. I think the problem is that regular and consistent use can cause kidney damage. It's easy to begin using the stuff and not realize how long you have been taking it - so better to just avoid if possible. Even my husband, with his transplant, was given permission by his center to use ibuprofin a couple of times - just reduced dosage and for three days only. I've also used afrin type sprays for my nose along with antihistamines without problems.  I have never checked on much of anything else - I am not big on medications because the side effects usually cause me more problem than the illness itself!
May want to check with your doc, as has been suggested. They may also have some good suggestions depending on your symptoms.
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline Michael

• Founder of LDO
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 04:16:47 PM »
Looks like you've got some good replies here. The one class of drugs to stay away from that I've heard about from other is NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs). They include ibuprophen and aspirin.

Here's a more general list of nephrotoxic (toxic to kidneys) drugs: http://www.wikidoc.org//index.php/Nephrotoxic_drugs

Like others, I will take ibuprophen (e.g., Advil) occasionally and usually only a single dose, when I feel like the alternatives aren't working. But that happens rarely.
Michael
Living Donors Online
Our mission: to improve the living donation experience

Offline WilliamLFreeman

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Blood is your renewable resource-please donate it!
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 04:36:45 PM »
Trixieindixie & Y'all,

I agree with Michael -- all replies are basically correct.  (And I am a MD doctor as well as a donor, Nicki.)   :)

BTW, it is not necessary to *never* take *any* non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID).  Some of use are old enough that we should take a baby aspirin (= 81 mg) a day to help prevent a stroke & heart attack.  ;D  However, certainly do not take a NSAID pain medicine for a prolonged period; limit to 3 days at a low dose sounds reasonable.  Acetaminophen ("Tylenol") usually does as well as a NSAID for musculoskeletal pain and fever, but not for inflammation -- and does not cause the occasional kidney damage than prolonged NSAID use can do.  (Because we have only 1 kidney, we need to protect it more than when we had 2.)  Sometimes the best thing to do is simply to "grin-n-bear it."

BTW 2, many people who are born with one kidney (and do not know it) have close to the expected amount of functioning kidney mass as do people with 2 kidneys -- but their pre-kidney tissue in the early fetus did not split into 2 kidneys.  It is not the number of kidneys, but the total amount of functioning kidney tissue, that is important.

BTW 3, I do not take decongestants because they tend to raise blood pressure.  When I have a cold, I just "sneeze-n-wipe-n-bear it!"

Bill
Bill - living kidney donor (non-directed, Seattle, Nov 24, 2008), & an [aging] physician  :-)

Offline Oldnslow

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 06:09:39 PM »
I avoid the ibruprofen, etc.  Wondered about the small aspirin that's recommended.   I take Tylenol once in a while.  Absolutely dependent on my coffee though!

Oldnslow
Oldnslow

"Donated kidney to my brother on Dec 8, 2008"

Offline ohtobeahayes

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 04:03:26 PM »
Bill you are such an invaluable resource!  Thanks for being here!!!!!!
Be the change!
Nicki

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved