| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Transplant Games  (Read 4748 times)

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Transplant Games
« on: June 09, 2011, 07:39:18 PM »
     The "World Transplant Games' for transplant athletes will run from June 17 to 24, 2011, in Goteborg, Sweden, with teams from many countries including the U.S.A.  Info at www.wtgf.org
      As we have a few members in Great Britain, the "British Transplant Games" will be held from 4 to 8 August, 2011 in Belfast, Northern Ireland. Info at www.transplantsport.org.uk
     Many of you already know that the proposed "U.S. Transplant Games" for 2012 have been cancelled as the National Kidney Foundation can no longer afford the sponsorship. But others are making an effort to get them organized anyway, hopefully in Grand rapids, Michigan. But no decision as yet.
       Fr. Pat

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
  • You may never know the burdens others carry
Re: RUN FOR LIFE
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 08:59:56 PM »
So here's the thing.   Like many of you, I felt some particular calling, yearning, higher sense of purpose or whatever we may choose to categorize the motivation as, to make a difference in someone's life and through this, maybe make a difference in my own.  Being about eight months post-op, I find myself again wondering if I've done enough.  Is there something more I'm being moved to do.  Is there more we ALL can do to help those who are waiting and praying for the gift of Life?

I live just outside of Duluth, Minnesota, home of the World renowned GRANDMA's MARATHON.  Each year in June (coming up this year on June 18), GRANDMA'S RESTAURANT sponsors a 26 mile marathon along the beautiful North shore of Lake Superior (starting in Two Harbors, Minnesota and running along the spectacular North Shore Scenic Highway and finishing on Canal Park in downtown Duluth).  Look it up on the internet.  Along with the Marathon is a sponsored half marathon (13 miles), also finishing in downtown Duluth.  

What I'm proposing is a large public awareness and education campaign where we, LIVING DONORS, train for and run the half marathon to show people (possibly those who may think about future living donation), that not only does living donation provide a "gift-of-life" for those in such great need, but also demonstrate that living donors can and DO live healthy, active and normal lives.  

Now I'm not a runner, but when I decided to donate to a young man from the Duluth area, I was way overweight, out-of-shape and certainly not the ideal donor.  I began exercising, eating right and after 7 months, had lost 70 pounds, several pants sizes and was in great shape to donate.  Although I planned on continuing this healthy life-style post-op to give myself the best opportunity to recover and live a healthy everafter.  What I didn't count on, was how strong I had become and I began running this spring and routinely increase my distances.  My point, if I can do it, I'm certain there are others who have experienced something similar in their life.  Additionally, I've seen several posts where many of you have talked about being runners.

I have a good friend who is a news anchor locally and I'm certain would love the opportunity for an exclusive, in-depth news series on this, especially being she was the one who aired the initial interview and plea for a kidney for my eventual recipient.  GRANDMAS MARATHON entries number about 10,000 runners (I would approach organizers to get our group entered - hopefully at a discounted entry fee or for free).  My wife is a manager for SUBWAY restaurants and would approach her owner (who owns about fifty stores) to sponsor us by purchasing running shirts/shorts for each of us with advertising for living kidney donation and in the appropriate color.  To reach a broader audience, I would arrange for my news anchor friend to burn a copy of the entire store to dvd for each of you to bring back to your local areas in the hopes you could find a local media outlet to run the story also.  

I would also approach one of the leading kidney transplant programs in the country (University of Minnesota- Dr. Arthur Matas) to attempt to secure a spokes person for news interviews, etc...that is a subject matter expert.

We (my wife and I, along with a couple of key friends where I work - Duluth Police Department), would locate reduced rate hotel accommodations or sponsor homes with several of our police officers for any of you to stay (you would need to find your own way here) and we would sponsor several groups meals for us.

My hope (prayer) is that through this event, we might educate others about the need for living donors, about how ANY ONE of us can make a difference in someone else's life and that living donation, although not for everyone, might be for THEM.  I won't pursue this without first finding out if any (or how many) of you may be interested in participating in this event for NEXT summer (June 2012).  If you're interested, please contact me.  I hope this doesn't sound crazy but I think it would be a successful and positive event.

thanks all

Scott  8)
Scott

Offline PhilHoover

• Top 25 Poster!
Re: Transplant Games
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 02:20:21 PM »
Scott, I'm in...
Donated to a former college professor, October 28, 2009. Would do it again in a nanosecond.

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
  • You may never know the burdens others carry
Re: Transplant Games
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 03:04:11 PM »
Thanks my friend - can't wait to run with you. 

Scott 8)
Scott

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved