| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: 'They threw away my life' Sister reveals family's despair  (Read 2673 times)

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
'They threw away my life' Sister reveals family's despair
« on: September 02, 2013, 05:56:23 PM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2407000/They-threw-away-life-Sister-reveals-familys-despair-hospital-chucked-healthy-kidney-sibling-donated-save-fatal-disease.html

'They threw away my life' Sister reveals family's despair after hospital chucked out healthy kidney sibling had donated to save her from fatal disease
Paul Fudacz Jr. donated his kidney to his sister Sarah, 24, in August 2012
But a nurse accidentally threw it away before the surgery was over
The hospital found a new kidney and paid Sarah's travel costs so she could undergo the operation - and it is now trying to dismiss the lawsuit

A 24-year-old woman who is suing a hospital after they threw away her brother's healthy kidney during a botched organ transplant has talked of the emotional trauma her family suffered.

'Somebody wasted part of my brother,' Sarah Fudacz told Good Morning America today, adding that she realized something had gone wrong with the transplant as soon as she was wheeled out of theater.

The 24-year-old, who was suffering from end-stage renal failure had been due to receive a kidney from her brother Paul at University of Toledo Medical Center.

Paul, who was 17 when he underwent the surgery for his sister, is now left with only one-functioning kidney after the hospital threw away his healthy organ.

Medical expert Dr Richard Besser said: 'When you donate an organ for a relative it's beautiful though you are putting yourself at slight risk.'

He described the mistake as a 'never event ... as it should never happen' and added that people had lost their jobs because of it.

Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional