| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Dropping GFR & sugar in urine?  (Read 3725 times)

Offline tantemorte

• Top 50 poster!
Dropping GFR & sugar in urine?
« on: September 14, 2013, 08:00:54 PM »
I'm 3 years post-donation. Donated at 32,am 35 now.
Last December my GFR was 64...then successively went down until the latest one ,in Aug., was 47 GFR.
(I had no infections, no illnesses, nothing.Just the usual bloody fatigue/etc. that I've had since donation)
I had to ask for a urinalysis myself because nobody ordered one.
It turns out apparently now I have sugar in my urine.
Never had it before.
No. I'm not diabetic.
I am not even pre-diabetic.
I didn't even eat before the test |(I have no appetite. I just don't really eat a lot anyhow)
I have perfect blood glucose levels.
The one thing I can find is 'renal glycosuria' which is apparently the kidney's inability to reabsorb the sugar...but that is supposed to manifest in childhood.
Anybody have similar issues?
Any ideas?
I'm starting to think my onesy cannot keep up with the load that's been dumped on it... 

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Non-directed donation, Oct., 2011
Re: Dropping GFR & sugar in urine?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 05:14:34 AM »
Hi, tantemorte.
   Sorry to hear that.  But what do the docs say? Do you still have any contact with the nephrologist from your center? Do you see a private nephrologist?  It really sounds as though you're out on your own, but there must be doctors somewhere in the picture?
   I'm not a doctor, and don't see that it has anything to do with the sugar, but about the fatigue and appetite--did anybody check your thyroid?
   Be well, Snoopy

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Dropping GFR & sugar in urine?
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 11:23:28 AM »
Dear tantemorte,

I agree you should have a follow up with a nephrologist! 

And continue to be proactive with your own care.  I had terrible fatigue last year (a year after donation) and it turned out to be ulcerative colitis, not a kidney issue. 
Since I'm taking a medication that can cause kidney problems, I get my gastroenterologist to approve blood work every 3-4 months. 

Lactose intolerance can cause sugar in urine.   Pyridium taken for  a bladder infection can test as sugar in urine. Pregnancy can cause sugar in urine.  I bet there's other reasons too.

BTW, My estimated GFR is like 46, which appears to be "normal" for me now. 

Let us know what you find out.

Love, elephant

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved