| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: glucose levels and high blood pressure  (Read 7035 times)

Offline lisamgoldberg

• Top 100 Poster!
glucose levels and high blood pressure
« on: June 21, 2011, 09:08:52 PM »
Hi everyone,
So my brother and I are still getting tested to find out who will be the doner for my dad. Today, I had to go for the 2 hour glucose screening test, b/c they found some glucose in my urine and said it could be a possible sign of future diabetes and then I would be ruled out for donating. My brother on the other hand just go news that his blood pressure was high, he thinks b/c he is super stressed. They have to now do a 24 hr blood pressure test on him.
Did this happen to any of you? I am getting nervous now they we both may not be able to be doners.
Thanks,
Lisa

Offline jstx

• Top 25 Poster!
Re: glucose levels and high blood pressure
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 09:21:28 PM »
Lisa,

I also had high blood pressure readings that they were concerned about.  I was nervous, had flown out of state for my all day evaluation, and had the CT scan with contrast dye prior to them taking my blood pressure.  All of that contributed to very high blood pressure.  I wore the 24 hour cuff on a holiday so I didn't have to go to work and did normal stuff around the house.  It showed that my blood pressure was normal and they cleared me to donate (I donated two weeks ago!).  Try not to get stressed....I know that is easier said than done-waiting and the unknown are so hard.  Let us know how it all goes; we'll be anxious to hear about it.
Donated left kidney on 6/6/11 to a recipient I found on LDO
Johns Hopkins Hospital
Baltimore, MD

Terryw

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 04:04:06 AM »
Hi Lisa,

I'm going though all the testing and have just had the results that I am a match for my brother and waiting for the next lot of tests (24hr BP,24hr Urine,and the Glomerular filtration rate) and know that it can make you stressed about it all as you want to help your loved one to get better.

All I can say is just try and relax and your brother!! what will be will be and its all out of our hands and know everyone will keep everything crossed for all of you  ;)

Terry ;D

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 04:09:33 PM »
Lisa, I had the same thing happen with the glucose. The initial bloodwork showed my A1C at .2 above what they considered acceptable. I was overweight, and the coordinator said they would allow me to lose the weight and would retest using the glucose tolerance test. After I lost a good amount of the weight, they did the glucose tolerance test - I passed without problem. Then, just to be sure , they made me do it again 30 days later! Passed it again.

It is really hard and frustrating to go through this, but they truly are doing it for your health and benefit. They already have one patient with health issues, they don't want to make it two patients.........
Hang tight, and relax. These are just the first steps, and a lot of things work themselves out along the way.

Good luck to you both!
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline upnover

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 07:31:34 PM »
Lisa,

I went through the blood pressure fiasco as well. I am normally 120/80. When I started to go through all the testing, sitting in waiting rooms etc. my bp went high. They made me do the 24hr test and I passed it. Just tell your brother he wont sleep much cause every hour the machine fires up and you wake up.
Good luck with the process, it will be worth it.

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
  • You may never know the burdens others carry
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 08:47:04 PM »
I also had the white-coat high blood pressure issues and had to do the 24 hours monitor.  It was fine thought and we proceeded.

Scott  8)
Scott

Offline lisamgoldberg

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 08:56:43 PM »
Thanks everyone,
Today I found out that my glucose levels are normal, I think also my brother's blood pressure is normal. Now we just have to decide who is gonig to go forward. The tough decision.....

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Non-directed donation, Oct., 2011
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 09:04:52 AM »
I had a funny experience with blood pressure. I had a 24-hour Holter BP monitor, and when it was over I looked at the print-out. I was depressed for the next 10 days, because it looked high to me.  I assumed I had ruined my chances of donating, was letting down my intended recipient, and that my BP, normally pretty good, had betrayed me.  I was quite upset. But then, at my family doctor (who knows about my plans) to get a throat culture, I asked him to look at my readouts and he said they looked OK to him.  Moral of the story:  don't assume!  Part of this is a certain inscrutability amongst the transplant team, who do not provide much feedback.  But, for those of us who are not docs, it pays to check with somebody who actually knows what he/she's talking about.
Be well, Snoopy

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 07:04:43 PM »

Thanks everyone,
Today I found out that my glucose levels are normal, I think also my brother's blood pressure is normal. Now we just have to decide who is gonig to go forward. The tough decision.....

Lisa,

Donors need to be both physically and emotionally healthy to donate. You mentioned previously that your brother was hesitant to donate. Many people are not prepared to take the risks associated with elective surgery, the complications that may occur post surgery. For this reason, the transplant team is willing to let donors decline without family pressure and let family know that the donor was not a match or did not pass the medical tests. So just because you and your brother are healthy enough to donate one of you, or both of you may decline because you are not psychologically prepared to donate. Others may continue to test, even those who are not blood related and may be compatible. If no one else is found, it may make it easier to come back to one of you if necessary. But you are right, it is a tough decision. Good luck.

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional