| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: So many questions...  (Read 6707 times)

ergarcia99

So many questions...
« on: June 25, 2011, 09:19:06 PM »
Hi.  I donated a kidney June 13th.  I feel great.  I haven't lifted much but I'm aching to exercise?  When did you all begin exercising?  Also, I want some pizza...I know it's greasy but I want it! 

Thanks you all.
Erika

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
  • You may never know the burdens others carry
Re: So many questions...
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 10:34:52 PM »
Erika,

Welcome to the club and thank you for such a generous gift of life to your recipient - I hope you are both doing well.  Although you're supposed to take it easy and rest, you also need to move and exercise.  Walking is perhaps one of the best exercises and many of us took to using a treadmill as soon as we felt able. We increased our programs as we were able, based on how we felt and what we felt like we could handle.  I was starting to work out again (interval training on treadmill) by about the third or fourth week post-op but I fatigued easily in the beginning.  I gradually came back to not only normal work outs but even harder and long (sometimes twice daily depending on my time and energy), but that wasn't until nearly 8 or 9 weeks out.  Your Transplant Coordinator and surgical team should have provided you guidelines for lifting prior to leaving the hospital - make certain you follow them as they are provided to give the best opportunity for a complication-free recovery.  Once you can lift - moderation is the key, at least for a time.

Regarding the pizza - have some.  There are some healthy alternatives out there such as ones with whole wheat crust, veggie only and reduced cheese.  Again, moderation is the key.  Indulge by having just a little bit - you deserve it for what you been through the gift you've provided.    Heal soon (and completely).

Sending you good thoughts!

Scott    8)
Scott

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 10:50:37 PM »
     Congratulations! I suggest you also add gentle bending and stretching exercises to your walking. Build up your exercise gradually. Be especially careful during the first weeks not to do lifting or exercises that might cause incisional hernia at the incision site(s) that are still healing.
     I wouldn't worry about the pizza. While you're recovering I suggest you eat whatever appeals to you (and that you can digest well). Once you're well recovered you can get back to a more notmal and healthful diet. As I have mentioned before, anchovy pizza was about the only food that appealed to me for a while after donation, although I have had no craving for it since then! Take good care of yourself.
        best wishes,
            Fr. Pat

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 07:48:04 AM »
Welcome Erika and congratulations!
When you say "exercise" what do you mean? It could range from simple walking to powerlifting and zumba.
Call and talk with the coordinator or surgeon. You need to be very clear with them what you want to do so they know how to respond. Walking is fine and encouraged.
My husband and I are both avid weightlifters, so at the two week check back I talked with the surgeon specifically about getting back to the gym. As we talked, it was pretty apparent that he had no idea about the type of "exercise" I was asking about, so I started giving very specific examples and weights I was using. That was the right thing to do.
He was able to construct a schedule for return along with increasing weight limits.
He had told me treadmill was fine at 6 weeks, but it felt "jostly" even at low speeds, so I waited 8. Ab work was about 3 -4 months down the road. Anything that felt weird or "pulled" I just lowered the weight or  put off for another week.
It was frustrating to wait, but I took the long view and followed his instructions to the letter. His comment was that I could do what I wanted, but the main result would be a hernia and more surgery - not a pleasant thought! I must tell you, he was pretty much spot on with his schedule and I am glad I took my time. Today I can do anything - and more - than I was able to do before.
I wouldn't worry about the pizza unless it bothers your stomach - enjoy!
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

ergarcia99

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 02:18:14 PM »
Thank you so much for the responses  ;D I would like to begin yoga again, which takes heaps of core strength. 

Offline rdr321

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 05:09:59 PM »
Hello Erika.   They keep moving the date on me to donate. Should be somtime in the middle of July. About the yoga. You can do yoga(with doctors permision) if you go to a certified Iyengar yoga instuctor. IF you do Vinyasa it would be nothing like that. They are trained over a number of years to work with people with physical problems. I am in the second year of teacher training. I was told I will be able to do passive forward bends and mild setu bandha with lots of props as soon as I can (with doctors permision) with the abdomen completely relaxed. Definatly no unsupported backbends or standing poses for a good while or your doctor says you can. Good luck Bye Rick

ergarcia99

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 06:54:54 PM »
Thank you Rick.  I don't have my follow up appointment until July 6 so I will ask my doctor then.  Good luck.  Erika

Offline rdr321

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 11:20:28 AM »
 Hi Erika,
   I saw on your profile that you are from Riverside. I am too. Where did you have your surgery done? Mine will be at RCH. I know a yoga teacher here in Riverside that may be able to help you after you see the doc. Her name is Christie Hall and she teaches at Fun Yoga Studio, also Tammy Gigerella she teaches out of here home   Bye Rick

ergarcia99

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 06:12:48 PM »
Hi Rick-
My surgery was done through Loma Linda Hospital.  They we really great through out the whole thing.  I donated to someone at my church, he is doing amazing. 
Why do they keep moving your surgery date?

By the way, I have taken classes from Christie before at Inland Yoga but haven't taken any since she moved to FUN yoga. 

Erika

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 04:55:01 PM »
I agree with the others about building your excercises up slowly, but as far as the pizza, I say go for it! You certainly deserve it. Congratulations to you on your donation! :)

Linda
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

Offline Oldnslow

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 01:31:24 PM »
I went down-hill skiing at around 10 weeks post donation.  I was worried about that due to the weight of the boots, equipment, etc.   I was less aggressive than normal but did not have any problems. I also didn't have any falls or spills which was helpful.  I started back into karate when I returned from skiing.  Some of the forms require jumps, etc.  That was a little too soon.  But no damage.

Returned to work at around 6 weeks.  THat was ok, but stamina was low and grumpy factor was high LOL.  If possible, I'd recommend a longer recovery period.

Eat the pizza.  Walk.

Cheers
Oldnslow
Oldnslow

"Donated kidney to my brother on Dec 8, 2008"

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved